Security Key with no one-time passwords.

Options
smokestacklightnin
smokestacklightnin
Community Member
edited August 2021 in Lounge

I recently bought two Yubikey's to use it with my account, but after setting them up I now see that 1Password doesn't give the ability to turn of the authenticator app. My plan was to keep all other one-time passwords in 1Password itself, and then secure the whole account with the Yubikey.

Doesn't this defeat the entire purpose of using a security key in the first place? Does anyone know if it's possible to have the authenticator disabled? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @smokestacklightnin

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community. :)

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the authenticator disabled?

As many of our apps do not support security keys it is not possible to disable TOTP. I wouldn't recommend it, but you could store the TOTP secret for your 1Password account inside 1Password. That way you would need to have access to 1Password on an already authorized device or your security key in order to add a new device. This does increase the likelihood of you being locked out of your account. If you go this route you may also want to consider printing your TOTP secret / QR code and storing it safely with your Emergency Kit.

Get to know your Emergency Kit

I hope that helps!

Ben

• smokestacklightnin
    smokestacklightnin
    Community Member
    Options

Thats a good suggestion that I haven't thought of, thanks. It's understandable that TOTP cannot be disabled if security key access is not yet possible in many of the other 1Password apps. Hopefully someday in the future it will be!

• Ben
    Options

Thats a good suggestion that I haven't thought of, thanks.

Happy to help. :)

It's understandable that TOTP cannot be disabled if security key access is not yet possible in many of the other 1Password apps. Hopefully someday in the future it will be!

Indeed; fingers crossed.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.