Is there a list of "planned" v8 features anywhere?

I've only briefly tested v8 and I'm switching back to v7 due to a few usability issues I've encountered (I'm sure they're minor to irrelevant for some people, but for my frequent usage they are a significant issue).

Based on comments in some of the other posts, many things are missing from v8 because they're just not ready yet (eg Mini), others seem to be bugs (CTRL+\ not working) while yet more seem to be design decisions (in-field prompts). Is there anywhere that explains what's intended to be coming in the beta so we don't bug you about stuff like Mini when it's coming anyway (and so we can ensure that we do bug you about the things that might be design changes)?

1Password Version: 8.1.2-62.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: Windows 10 21H1

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited August 2021

Hey @wraith,

Thanks for the this question. The simple answer here is "yes", with some caveats. I hope I can provide an explanation here that helps, both in the general and specific sense.

I've only briefly tested v8 and I'm switching back to v7 due to a few usability issues I've encountered (I'm sure they're minor to irrelevant for some people, but for my frequent usage they are a significant issue).

First, I'm sorry to hear that's the case! If you let us know what you've encountered, we'll be happy to either assist with a workaround or report the issue to our development team so it can be addressed.

You're correct, though: "Early Access" is just what it sounds like, a kind of early preview of the next edition of 1Password - not yet a business-ready, final product. If you really need that stability and reliability, 1Password 7 is certainly the way to go for now.

We like to provide these early previews because 1) it's cool for customers to get to try new stuff and 2) community reaction provides us a really great means of feedback and course-correction. That's a big part of how we know if we're doing the right things.

Based on comments in some of the other posts, many things are missing from v8 because they're just not ready yet (eg Mini)

True. You can reasonably expect 1Password 8 Stable to have more functionality ready to go than Early Access does. We have announced that Mini will be coming, and we want to make sure it's ready to roll out to all platforms, not just Mac, or Windows, and so on. It's indeed on the way.

others seem to be bugs

Also true! And we're working on it. More on this in a moment.

yet more seem to be design decisions (in-field prompts). Is there anywhere that explains what's intended to be coming in the beta so we don't bug you about stuff like Mini when it's coming anyway (and so we can ensure that we do bug you about the things that might be design changes)?

There's a lot that's appealing about this idea. I think it's also likely that it won't happen. Again, explanation further down πŸ‘‡

What's in 1Password 8?

The major features you can expect from 1Password 8 (and, to be more specific, the biggest changes you can expect over 1Password 7) can be found here:

https://blog.1password.com/1password-8-for-windows-is-now-in-early-access/

A short list of big feature changes includes:

• A fully redesigned UI
    • A new shared "core" of code across platforms, built from the ground up (thus each app resembles its siblings much more than in the current generation)
    • Dark Mode! (I am personally very pro-all-dark-mode-everything, so very excited about this)
    • Biometrics! including in your browser
    • Closer integration between the desktop and browser apps, with shared unlock

You might have also heard about entire new solutions we've rolled out in parallel recently, like Secrets Automation, which makes secure secret-sharing possible for developers and other technical folks in a pretty awesome way. That's not specifically a part of 1Password 7 vs. 8, it's just ... a whole new thing we added on to both.

Development at 1Password

Without going outside my perimeter of competence here (I'm not a developer), I'd like to explain a little about how development works at 1Password, and how that affects publication of planned features.

1. The 1Password apps are always in a process of continual development and revision - even more than you see from your end. That is, we're constantly adding fixes, testing new features, and generally building things out incrementally. In contrast to the Bad Old Days of software design, many software companies have moved to this small-step approach, rather than releasing one "final" software version in a box and calling it a day. Same deal here - and that means revision and refinement are just part of what we always do. The end result is better stability, better security, and the ability to make changes really fast when it's critical to do so.

2. We almost always keep new features private until they're ready to go. There's a simple reason for this: we prefer to under-promise and over-deliver, and sometimes it's also not clear ahead of time what will be an easy thing to do, or if changing a certain aspect of the software is a coding and design nightmare. We don't want to promise something and then not be able to back it up.

3. The diversity of examples you've noticed here - some bugs haven't been worked out, some features aren't built yet, some are design decisions - are outgrowths of this design philosophy (and the fact that EA isn't a finished product). We want to know about bugs so we can fix them quickly. We provide Early Access so folks can try out the basic features of the next release, while being clear that this isn't the final thing yet. And we continually improve the product as we go.

Given that, it would be very hard to release a definitive list of features. Instead, we try to provide the highlights, and pleasantly surprise you with our ratio of promise-to-deliver. I hope that makes sense!

And lastly, if you do have specific requests - for bug fixes, for new features, and so on - this is the place to let us know. πŸ‘

Many thanks!

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P ,

Many thanks for your detailed response. I'm not a developer either, but I've worked with them for >20yrs and quite understand the process and the challenges of announcing features. Just thought it was worth asking rather than harassing about things that were always intended to be coming down the line :)

Cheers

• Sure thing, @wraith! That makes a lot of sense. I'll try not to deluge you with text next time 😜

• gustavosaez
    gustavosaez
    Community Member

What will be removed effectively from 1P8?
    I know it's Early Access but I'd like to know what I will loose.

For example:

• I don't see the items counts anymore.
    • The shortcut to show 1P is Command+Shift+\ and now it's conflicting with another shortcut, because until 1P7 I was using Command+\ only.
    • Auto-login. 1P7 just use the command above and the magic (autofill) happens and in 1P8 we need to click on the item.

What else we will "loose" from 1P7 or the things above will be inserted in future updates until Stable Version?

• Hi @gustavosaez

It is very difficult to say what is in v7 that won't be in v8 because that is a constantly moving target. Both products are actively being developed. We do certainly have some ideas in mind about what needs to happen before we can ship the first stable version, but a good deal of that will depend on what we hear from users as well. There are a number of problems we may try to solve in different ways than we solved them in v7.

I can comment further on some of your specific examples, though:

The shortcut to show 1P is Command+Shift+\ and now it's conflicting with another shortcut, because until 1P7 I was using Command+\ only.

We will offer the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts in the future. It just didn't quite make it in time for the early access release.

I don't see the items counts anymore.

I don't know of any definite plans for item counts, but I'd be interested to hear more about how the item counts are useful for you. What problem do they solve? e.g. Is it so that at a quick glance you can tell if your devices are in sync? If so, we do have some ideas about how to make that information more visible.

Auto-login. 1P7 just use the command above and the magic (autofill) happens and in 1P8 we need to click on the item.

Which browser extension (and version) were you using with 1Password 7? Both 1Password 8 and 1Password 7 can use the "1Password in the Browser" extension, and so the experience should be the same with either version if that's what you've been using.

Ben

• gustavosaez
    gustavosaez
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

I know when new big versions comes some features needs to be gone to the newest arrives. We need to adapt ourselves haha.
    Below I will comment some things.

We will offer the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts in the future. It just didn't quite make it in time for the early access release.

Amazing! This will be so great. Thank you!

I don't know of any definite plans for item counts, but I'd be interested to hear more about how the item counts are useful for you. What problem do they solve? e.g. Is it so that at a quick glance you can tell if your devices are in sync? If so, we do have some ideas about how to make that information more visible.

A week ago (maybe a little more) I needed to change all my e-mail accounts, more than 300 because I have an Alias for every register and my domain will expire next month, I changed from .tech to .net and the number was good to check how long I still need to change one by one (somes were deleted, by the way). Another is to check if devices is synced. Another reason is the easy way to count how much software licenses do you have, how much reused passwords or for trivial argument with friends to show that you have (in my case, now) 371 items on my vault, being 70+ licenses, 200+ logins, bank accounts, passport, documents, and more... Also, it's good to know and control how much things do you have in your vault.

Which browser extension (and version) were you using with 1Password 7? Both 1Password 8 and 1Password 7 can use the "1Password in the Browser" extension, and so the experience should be the same with either version if that's what you've been using.

I'm not using the 1Password for Safari, only installed 1Password 7 (Version 7.8.7 (70807004)).

• A week ago (maybe a little more) I needed to change all my e-mail accounts, more than 300 because I have an Alias for every register and my domain will expire next month, I changed from .tech to .net and the number was good to check how long I still need to change one by one (somes were deleted, by the way). Another is to check if devices is synced. Another reason is the easy way to count how much software licenses do you have, how much reused passwords or for trivial argument with friends to show that you have (in my case, now) 371 items on my vault, being 70+ licenses, 200+ logins, bank accounts, passport, documents, and more... Also, it's good to know and control how much things do you have in your vault.

These are certainly all pretty good arguments for why Item Counts should make a return. I know I personally like seeing the look on my friends faces when they ask just how much I store in 1Password, and then I open the app up and let them see for themselves.

As Ben mentioned prior, there aren't any definite plans in regards to Item Counts, but I will certainly be passing your specific feedback along to the team so we make sure your voice is being heard. 😊

I'm not using the 1Password for Safari, only installed 1Password 7 (Version 7.8.7 (70807004)).

Ah! That may be why you're seeing some different behavior there. Try installing 1Password in your Browser and then give things another shot and see if that makes your experience any better?

Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Brave: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

Safari: https://apps.apple.com/app/1password-for-safari/id1569813296

• gustavosaez
    gustavosaez
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply, @Blake ! I hope the team take some time to implement this until the stable version or in a short 8.x update.

Now, about the 1Password for browser... If I install it on my safari, I will have 1Password duplicated, because today (as always) I don't have 1P for Safari and it works very well, perfectly well, any site, just press command+\ and user/pass/2fa autofilled.

Another question, If I install 1P for Safari, I still need 1P installed on macOS? I ask you this because I have 1P for Brave on my Windows PC and I don't have 1P for windows installed and it works well too. The experience is not the same but it works. I prefer to use 1P installed on Mac only and use shortcuts to autofill against 1P Extension and need to click to autofill. You got it?

• Another question, If I install 1P for Safari, I still need 1P installed on macOS? I ask you this because I have 1P for Brave on my Windows PC and I don't have 1P for windows installed and it works well too.

Technically, 1Password for Safari can work without the main app. The only downside is that you will have to unlock it manually and Touch ID won't be available. It will also lock every time you restart Safari.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.