Search relevance / approach change in Mac app?

Options
newtmitch
newtmitch
Community Member

tl;dr: Seems like searching by title isn't easily achievable anymore, entry results on search take a lot more to time to find what I'm looking for

Hi - I'm noticing what I think is a change to the way in-app search results are being returned that's making it much less usable for me than previously. I can't remember having this kind of issue in the past so perhaps I'm just missing something, but I had to really hunt today after typing something in the 1Password app for a specific entry. Specifics below.

I'm a web developer, use quite a bit of Heroku for various things, and have multiple accounts. I'll build small, prototype apps and deploy them and they end up getting XYZ.herokuapp.com domains where "XYZ" is the name of the application I give it when I create it. For those apps that have credentials, of course I save those in 1Password, tied to the specific XYZ.herokuapp.com URL. So I have credentials for heroku.com itself and quite a few for *.herokuapp.com for my individual application instances.

I name the 1Password login entries according to my own mechanism that denotes function rather than "site". So I have app XYZ that I need to log in to, I'll name it "XYZ user login" or something like that. For the Heroku credentials themselves, I use "Heroku ABC" where "ABC" is a specific name of an organization (since I have multiple accounts there).

So I'd have in 1Password the following example login entries:

"XYZ app login"
"WXY app login"
"Heroku ABC"
"Heroku BCD"

But I have about 30 entries like that, so not just a few.

So I go into the regular "search" bar (not advanced search) and it's set to "major fields". I type in "heroku" looking for my heroku credentials themselves, named "Heroku ABC" and the like - the search term is in the title for what I'm looking for. The results I get back are ALL entries with Heroku anywhere - in the case of my app credentials, they're in the actual website associated with the entry. They're not in the title, only the website itself.

I'd expect that items with the search term in the title would have a higher relevance than those with the word "heroku" somewhere in the rest of the entry. IIRC it seems like I had the option to search only title. Yes, I can go into advanced search and do that now but it's a LOT of extra work to get there just to search for something I know is in the title.

Didn't we used to have an easy-to-use title-only search? Or did the search relevance work and it's not now? It seems, at least for me, rockin' 1500+ passwords after MANY years, that search has gotten way more difficult to use in at least one of my use-cases around many passwords per-site and finding what I'm looking for is a lot harder...

Version information:
1Password 7
Version 7.8.6 (70806001)
1Password Store

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 11.5

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @newtmitch!

So I go into the regular "search" bar (not advanced search) and it's set to "major fields". I type in "heroku" looking for my heroku credentials themselves, named "Heroku ABC" and the like - the search term is in the title for what I'm looking for. The results I get back are ALL entries with Heroku anywhere - in the case of my app credentials, they're in the actual website associated with the entry. They're not in the title, only the website itself.

You are correct: when you have your search options set to major fields, 1Password searches also in the website fields of your entries. Unless I remember this wrong, this has always been the case even in previous versions.

Didn't we used to have an easy-to-use title-only search?

I do not remember a search option that defaulted to title only. The only way I know to do that is to indeed use the advanced search filter:

I will bring this up to the team to see what their thoughts are :+1:

This discussion has been closed.