To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Membership Backup Granularity and Retention

Options
boostcraver
boostcraver
Community Member
edited July 2021 in Memberships

Hi Team,

I'm using 1password 7 with a membership, after 10 years of using standalone versions. I have a legacy (imported) standalone vault still on Dropbox that I need to decom and delete, and my due diligence requires me to validate the backups are healthy of my membership vaults prior to deleting the standalone copy from Dropbox.

I cannot see the health of my Membership backups, and I see many posts from my BFFs at 1password saying "Relax, we got it covered".

But what is the backup retention term? Aka the Recovery Point Objective (RPO), if anyone is guaranteeing such a thing. Is an item history expired at some point? Once I hit 16K changes? Once I pass 1 GB of space usage? Once its over a year old? Once your nosql backend breaks? Local backups make these questions go away. I gotta say, if this isn't documented, I expect there is NO RPO, NO GUARANTEE. NO RECOURSE.

And the granularity of the backups... don't seem to cover everything. For example, if I rename an item, that is not covered in the item history.
So... what is the granularity of the backups? If you tell me "relax" then I'd expect 100% granularity, or an explanation of what is not covered in the backups.

Love your product, but please lets put it in writing if you think backup is so bullet proof.

Thanks,

Boosty

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @boostcraver!

I just wanted to send you a quick message to let you know that I have passed these questions to the Web team, they will be in the best position to give you all the details :) We will post back here as soon as possible :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@boostcraver:

I wanted to send you a quick update in the meantime, since I have heard back from the team about local backups: if you would like to also rely on a local backup, you can backup the SQLite database yourself on your device, even if that device uses a Membership :+1:

This discussion has been closed.