No face recognition icon on iPhone11Pro when signing into 1P

blackxacto
blackxacto
Community Member
edited August 2021 in iOS

iOS 14.7.1 both iPhone11Pro and iPadPro11 (first gen): Why does the iPad offer face recognition when signing into 1Password account, but not on my iPhone11Pro? On my iPhone I must manually type in my 1P password. Both devices have face recognition, don't they? They use the same iOS.

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14.7.1

Comments

• Hello @blackxacto!

I'm sorry that you're having trouble unlocking 1Password using Face ID on your iPhone. Have you already enabled Face ID for 1Password on your iPhone? Try these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap Settings > Security.
    3. Turn on Face ID.

Once you've verified that Face ID is enabled can you switch away from the 1Password app and then go back to the app to see if you're given the option to unlock using Face ID?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Unlocked 1P. Settings/Security/ FaceID is ON, AutoLock is 1 hour, Lock on Exit is OFF.

I still do not see the Face ID logo when opening 1P on iPhone, like I do on the iPadPro. My settings are just as you requested I thought?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto:

For confirmation, is this happening in the main 1Password app, or in the Autofill extension when you try to sign into a website?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

ag: autofill for iOS14.7.1. Good grief! It's actually working today on the iPhone11Pro. I signed into the 1P community via iPhone quickly, no need to type in password. Maybe I turned something on since I started the thread. I'm sorry to bother you guy's. Thanks for your responses.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

No worries @blackxacto! I am glad to hear that everything is working as expected once again :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83082658@N00/51357715563/

It's happened all day today. Why the heck does 1P refuse to give me Face Recognition when I want to sign into anything using 1P on my iPhone11Pro. Each time I have to type my long 1P password. So frustrating. I am signing into the Fidelity App, so I have to give it a password, so I ask 1P to give me the password. EVERYTIME I have to type the GD 1P password to get it to work. Why is 1P not giving me facial recognition.

• I'm sorry for the frustration @blackxacto. The behaviour you mentioned is a limitation of our integration with the iOS Password AutoFill feature - when going through Password AutoFill's interface to open 1Password, 1Password is opening in a more restricted mode than when you launch the main app itself, and in this more restricted mode we're unable to perform the background tasks necessary to set up things like Face ID unlock. Launching the main app instead does allow those background tasks to complete, and so subsequent calls from Password AutoFill can make use of them. Our team is aware of this limitation and are investigating ways they can improve this behaviour.

In the meantime please open the main 1Password app on your home screen first, unlock it using your 1Password account password, and then you'll be able to use Face ID to fill your password into Safari and other apps until Face ID expires. Face ID can expire for a variety of reasons including iPhone updates, restarting the iPhone, or failing Face ID authentication.

Let me know if that helps. :)

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

If I have to type the password every time, give me shorter password accessibility.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2021

Thanks for the reply @blackxacto. To clarify: if you first unlock the main 1Password app (the icon that you see on your iPhone's home screen) using your 1Password account password then you'll be able to use Face ID to unlock 1Password when it invokes 1Password using AutoFill in Safari and other apps.

You only have to unlock the main 1Password app using your 1Password account password once and then you can use Face ID afterwards until it expires for the reasons listed in my previous comment. :)

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

My 1Password acct locks as soon as I leave the 1Password window. So I have to re enter the 1Password password again if i need 1Password again. Is there a way to not lock but give me 15 minutes to enter the correct app password? Why does it have to lock unlike my macOS 1P

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

This inability to either keep 1Password open for several minutes, or, shorten the password required from 10+ characters will force me to simplify my 10 characters password such as ssssshhhhh3

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

One other question: I never have any issues on my ipadpro11. I always have issues w the iPhone11Pro. They are both ios14.7.1. Why can’t 1Password use face recognition on the iPhone like the iPad pro?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto:

My 1Password acct locks as soon as I leave the 1Password window.

Can you send us a screenshot of your 1Password Security settings, under 1Password > Settings > Security from your iPhone?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83082658@N00/51358711766/ this is from my iPhone11Pro settings

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

I don't understand if I have LOCK on exit OFF, why I get locked out if I leave 1P app on iPhone11Pro. I want there to be a long delay before LOCK.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Also, why does facial recognition work in 1P on the iPad11Pro, but not on my iPhone11Pro, Both are iOS14.7.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

@blackxacto:

Thank you for the screenshot! I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your iOS device and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

ref: SQU-31892-227

• msilano
    msilano
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

I've got the same problem as of today - FaceID was available to unlock 1Password ... forever, and today, FaceID isn't available. I've tried to disable and re-enable the settings within the security menu. FaceID is still able to unlock the iPhone. IOS15 beta. Let me know what the next steps are. Thanks!

• msilano
    msilano
    Community Member

Um, ignore me. Sorry about that. Deleted and re-installed the application, all is well. Cheers!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @msilano! I am glad to hear that you managed to get this sorted out already :)

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Ag-ana, sent report, did not see a number to report. Your tech said i needed to change a setting under 1p/settings/advanced. Changed it and no issues now/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto:

Thank you for the update. In case it's useful to other members of the Community, can you post what the exact setting was, and how you changed it?

• mlmiles1
    mlmiles1
    Community Member

@blackxacto Please post the settings that you changed. I have been fighting with this problem for a while and I would love some help.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

I am so sorry. I don't have the 1P tech response I received to correct the issue. I went into settings on the iPhone, but I can't remember the actual corrected settings. I remember I had to turn something on, but I don't remember what. The issue began for me with the last iOS system update. The update apparently changed a setting in the 1P settings. I corrected it and the issue went away. Sorry again I can't remember the correct setting.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mlmiles1:

I have searched for the last email sent to blackxacto, and this is the suggestion that was last sent out:

On the phone can you head to 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security, and set the Require Master password prompt to never.

Can you please give that a try and see if that works for you too?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto:

Do you want a new copy of the email sent to you?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Yes, please, sorry i lost the original. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto:

Email resent :+1:

This discussion has been closed.