The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available

mrdoodiddle
mrdoodiddle
Community Member

The .deb packages signing gpg key got rotated?

W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: https://downloads.1password.com/linux/debian/amd64 beta InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY AC2D62742012EA22
W: Failed to fetch https://downloads.1password.com/linux/debian/amd64/dists/beta/InRelease  The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY AC2D62742012EA22

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @mrdoodiddle, I am really sorry you're running into this issue with 1Password! Let's get things working for you again.

Is it possible you've been running 1Password for Linux since before it was released to stable? If so, you might need to update where to pull 1Password from - could you try running through the initial download steps, and let me know how it goes? I'll include links below with the relevant steps for both stable and beta channels:

Download 1Password for Linux - Stable

Download 1Password for Linux - Beta

Thanks so much, I look forward to hearing if this gets you up and running again! :smile:

• nprokopic
    nprokopic
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Hi @Dayton_ag, I have installed 1Password for Linux after it was released to stable, but I've hit the same issue like @mrdoodiddle wrote above.

I'm running KDE Neon (based on Ubuntu 20.04):

Distributor ID: Neon
    Description:    KDE neon User Edition 5.22
    Release:        20.04
    Codename:       focal

Redoing steps from https://support.1password.com/install-linux/ fixed the issue for me.

• PeterG_1P
    edited August 2021

Hi @mrdoodiddle, thanks for letting us know about this.

We've checked in with some of our server and development folks about this, and it turns out there was a change in how we host the public key. This has apparently caused an issue for a small number of customers. The good news is this issue shouldn't come up any more going forward.

To fix the immediate problem, as @nprokopic helpfully mentioned, try redoing the installation steps at https://support.1password.com/install-linux/.

If that doesn't work for you, let us know and we'll help you sort it out. And thank you again for bringing this to our attention!

• mrdoodiddle
    mrdoodiddle
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Yes I re-installed the public key, which allowed me to update and of course I failed to update my post here.

Replacing the signing key surprised me, as blindly using a new key without any information is not good in my humble opinion.

Is there a notification somewhere that the key got changed (maybe I missed it) ?

• Hi @mrdoodiddle

My understanding is that the key itself did not change, only where it is hosted. Are you seeing indications otherwise?

Ben

• mrdoodiddle
    mrdoodiddle
    Community Member

Nah, it's been a while now I don't have the old repo config anymore, I am all set.

Regardless im just saying that a repo change or sign key change is important for me, so having it in a release notes would have been a nice notice :).

• Got it. Thanks for sharing @mrdoodiddle. :)

Ben

• nprokopic
    nprokopic
    Community Member

I've hit this issue again, same workaround (redoing installation steps) helped.

• Thanks for letting us know, @nprokopic. We'll keep an eye out for this issue!

• doug_collier
    doug_collier
    Community Member

The linux install steps to fix this did not work in zsh, I needed to use bash.

• Thanks for this note, @doug_collier. We appreciate it!

This discussion has been closed.