Linking issues in 1PW8 for Windows

In 1PW8 there's a "Copy link to item" functionality, which unfortunately doesn't seems to work properly.

When inserting the link to a browser (tested both with Chrome and Edge), it offers to open the 1PW8 app on the PC, but despite opening it properly, it didn't navigates to the correct item, just shows the GUI with the view where 1PW left open previously. I would expect from such item link to navigate to the proper item.

Also somewhat unrelated to the "copy link to item", but concerning an other aspect of linking, the built-in "link to related item" functionality during item editing allows to refer only to an item within the same vault. Is there any plans to revisit this linking functionality and allow it to refer to other vaults too? As a typical use case, we're storing the basic VPN access information in a shared vault (VPN type, address, shared credentials), but obviously want to store the per user credentials in the private vaults, for each user separately. It would be very useful to make a link from the VPN user entry stored in the private vault, to the shared VPN access entry stored in a shared vault.

Moreover the linking to another item functionality is completely missing from 1password.com site. Overall these linking functionalities could be very helpful, but they seems to be eager to receive some love from the developers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @BSi,

Thanks for sharing this with us!

When inserting the link to a browser (tested both with Chrome and Edge), it offers to open the 1PW8 app on the PC, but despite opening it properly, it didn't navigates to the correct item, just shows the GUI with the view where 1PW left open previously.

That's intriguing. I haven't been able to reproduce this issue; when I try it, the link takes me back into the 1Password app, and also selects (and visually highlights) the item the link pertains to. If you're able to show us this using either video screen capture or screenshots, we'll be happy to look further into this for you!

the built-in "link to related item" functionality during item editing allows to refer only to an item within the same vault. Is there any plans to revisit this linking functionality and allow it to refer to other vaults too?

That's a good question. I don't know the answer to this one, and allowing links between items in separate vaults would necessarily have some security implications, so I'll ask the team members who would know about this.

Moreover the linking to another item functionality is completely missing from 1password.com site.

I'll make sure to bring this up as well! Thank you again, and we'll get back to you with more. 🙏

• Hi @BSi , back again - I've checked in with our developers and the consensus is that related items are (at present) for items in the same vault only. This may change with time, and there are discussions about what that might look like, but there's not much I can share about this right now. It is on our radar.

• BSi
    BSi
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply @PeterG_1P

I've played around a bit with the "copy link to item" issue, and found that it could be replicated once 1PW has been hidden by CTRL+SHIFT+. If it's window is visible when you enter the URL to the browser, then it indeed navigates to the correct item and highlights it properly, however if 1PW has been hidden with the aforementioned keyboard shortcut and you'll enter the URL after the 1PW window has been hidden, then it could not navigate to the right item at all.

It might be connected to an other quite annoying issue, which I've reported earlier, namely that 1PW simply looses the search criteria and the search results once the window gets hidden with CTRL+SHIFT+\ and made visible again.

• Hi @BSi, thank you for this additional detail. With this information, we have been able to reproduce the issue under these conditions - and you have our thanks for pointing this out. 🙏 We've filed the issue with our developers so this can be addressed!

This discussion has been closed.