Windows Hello

Options

The prompt to enter your windows hello access code does not come up with focus as it did with 1P7 but routinely gets hidden behind other windows on my screen.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @mcg88 👋! Sorry to hear this is happening for you.

Let's figure this out. Here's a few questions to start:

1. What specific apps do you notice this happening with? Is it just 1Password (and is it 1Password in the browser, or desktop app)?
    2. When this happens, is it with any programs that you're running as admin?

Of course, any other (non-sensitive) information you'd like to include is welcome as well. 👍

• mcg88
    mcg88
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

It appears to only happen when I try to unlock 1password via the browser. Both while using the button in the toolbar, or by clicking in a password prompt window and using the dropdown menu.

I ran a two monitor set up. Launching from chrome on monitor 1, the hello prompt ends up on monitor 2 behind an application I am running as admin. It has at times ended up behind other applications that are not running as admin. If launched from a chrome window on Monitor 2, it ends up behind the chrome window and behind the other application i'm running as admin.

• Hey again! Thanks for the detail on this.

I would suspect that Chrome is the relevant factor here - typically when Chrome is run as administrator, people may run into problems with focus (that is, Chrome doesn't want to give it up, causing other windows to pop up behind it). It is possible that the other admin-level apps might come into play too, but let's take one thing at a time. 👍

If you run Chrome as with regular, non-admin permissions, does the issue persist?

• dsouzadrian
    dsouzadrian
    Community Member
    Options

Don't mean to butt in, but I've been experiencing the same issue with 1Password 8 as well. The window will sometimes show minimized and blinking on the windows taskbar. I have to click on it to bring it to the foreground and then windows hello will authenticate. Lately I've noticed a similar behavior to what @mcg88 reported where even clicking the windows hello icon in the taskbar does not bring it to the foreground. Its hidden off screen. I have to right click and close it, which will bring up 1Pass 8 and I have to click on the windows hello icon to reprompt me.

I'm running the chromium version of Edge.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by running chrome as regular with non-admin privileges.

I do not right click on edge and click "Run as administrator" when opening it. I open it as a regular app with non-admin privileges.

• mcg88
    mcg88
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P

To clarify- chrome is not running as admin. I have the same problem as @dsouzadrian where my hello box sometimes comes up as minimized and I can't get it to maximize either.

• Hey @mcg88 and @dsouzadrian, I think I've been able to reproduce this on my end - it appears that Hello will only ever pop up on the display that is set within Windows as my Main display - is that true for you both as well? If you move your browser to the non-main window and click on a locked 1Password in your browser icon, does Windows Hello show up on the main display in the foreground or in the task bar?

Let me know what you find, and I'll compile all of our results together and get this passed to the Development team. Thanks again to you both for your help here! :smile:

• mcg88
    mcg88
    Community Member
    Options

@Dayton_ag That is mostly accurate but I believe there are edge cases as well:
    1) It never pops up in foreground always in background of main display
    2) Sometimes the pop-up window can not be brought to foreground as @dsouzadrian mentioned. I'll have to right click, close and then re-try the windows hello prompt.

• PeterG_1P
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hey @mcg88, thanks for sharing the specifics on this. This one might take a little digging, so our team will see what we can figure out about this and update as soon as we can. Thanks for your patience while we investigate!

This discussion has been closed.