Feedback on unlock for 1P8

Some more feedback on the unlock experience in Windows after first unlock.

Firstly, the error message for when your master password is wrong is too subtle. It needs to be either be a different colour, or the password entry field should animate a little bit (think like MacOS) to tell you that the password is wrong. There's an added cognitive burden right now to figure out that you typed the wrong password.

Secondly, I unlocked 1Password for the first time this boot session using the browser extension in Edge. After I successfully typed in my master password, the whole window just disappeared. I had to click on the 1Password icon again to get a list of logins. I'm guessing that this is due to a new process being launched when you unlock, but it's weird and disruptive to have the window that you're working with just disappear.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kop48, thanks for this feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to relate it in detail here.

Firstly, the error message for when your master password is wrong is too subtle. It needs to be either be a different colour, or the password entry field should animate a little bit (think like MacOS) to tell you that the password is wrong. There's an added cognitive burden right now to figure out that you typed the wrong password.

Added cognitive burden is really the opposite of what we're aiming for (we want the app to be as seamless as possible), so we'll take this into account!

With that said, do you think the "Check your password and try again" message isn't direct enough?

Secondly, I unlocked 1Password for the first time this boot session using the browser extension in Edge. After I successfully typed in my master password, the whole window just disappeared.

I think I understand - if I'm interpreting this sequence of events correctly, it sounds like what you experienced was a successful unlock, in which the 1Password in Edge and 1Password for Windows are integrated. It doesn't sound like there was an error or a crash (at least at first glance), but perhaps it would be more helpful for 1Password in Edge to present that same menu you arrived at without requiring the click?

Again, we're always open to feature requests here, and I'm happy to put in a request for you. I just want to make sure it aligns with your experience and your intent!

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

With that said, do you think the "Check your password and try again" message isn't direct enough?

@PeterG_1P - it's direct, but because it lacks animation or colouring, it feels too subtle. Honestly, this would mostly be fixed by a CAPS LOCK hint and auto-formatting of the secret key.

• PeterG_1P
    edited August 2021

Hey @kop48, understood, thank you. I have passed along this request to our developers, including a link to your original post here. 👍 Thanks for sharing your perspective on this!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/-/#837

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

No worries, thanks for listening!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us @kop48 :)

This discussion has been closed.