To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Allow website favicons to be redownloaded easily

Oliver_Saer
Oliver_Saer
Community Member
edited August 2021 in Memberships

I love that 1Password displays the site favicon next to your saved passwords, as it provides a splash of colour to your password list.

However, what I don't so much like is that often times the cached favicon is out-of-date or simply doesn't exist for many sites.

It would be really helpful if 1Password could provide a one-click option to redownload the latest favicon for the saved password's website. I am aware that this can be done manually, however this becomes a bit of an arduous process. If this could be done through the client, it would essentially automate this process and wouldn't place any additional strain on 1Password's servers.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
  • Oliver_Saer
    Oliver_Saer
    Community Member

Hi @DenalB ,

Thanks for sending those over, they look to be very interesting.

However, aside from the mention that AgileBits caches the highest quality available icon for each website included in their image server, there isn't a resolution to my issue, sadly. :(

Really, what I'm looking for is a way to easily get new icons onto my 1Password (in one-click) when the icon provided by the AgileBits image server is outdated or missing entirely.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

That’s my issue too, @Oliver_Saer . But there is no solution and there are no plans to implement such a possibility.

The only way is to search for better icons by yourself like I did and change them in every entry. I changed 400 icons by myself. It took some time but now it looks great.

But at the moment custom icons are not supported by the early access version 8 of 1Password for Windows. That’s why I‘m still using latest stable version 7. 😉

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Oliver_Saer:

Really, what I'm looking for is a way to easily get new icons onto my 1Password (in one-click) when the icon provided by the AgileBits image server is outdated or missing entirely.

Just so we can make sure we are on the same page: where would you like these icons to be downloaded from, when our icon server does not have them?

• Oliver_Saer
    Oliver_Saer
    Community Member

Hello again @ag_ana !

I suppose the best place would be to scrape the destination site to grab the highest resolution icon or apple-touch-icon (if available).

However, since embarking on my own quest to fill out these icons, as suggested by @DenalB , I've found that this isn't always a reliable source for the icons due to varying practices from different sites. A lot of the time, I've either had to source these from Google Images or take a low resolution icon and upscale it through waifu2x.

Therefore, what would possibly be a better suggestion for your team would be to allow these to be crowdsourced by people who are already taking the time to manually collect and upload these icons. Presumably, there would need to be a verification process by someone on your end, which might make this solution less attractive by default.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Oliver_Saer:

I've found that this isn't always a reliable source for the icons due to varying practices from different sites. A lot of the time, I've either had to source these from Google Images or take a low resolution icon and upscale it

I believe this is indeed one of the reasons why the team decided to provide a collection of icons that we maintain. Also, this means that we get icons from a place that we control for security reasons. I will be happy to discuss this with the team however, perhaps this is something we can keep in mind for the future :+1:

This discussion has been closed.