Best place to save 2FA Backup Codes

Options
gmangesh
gmangesh
Community Member

After enabling 2FA, most sites provide a list of 8 or 10 backup codes which can be used to gain entry to the account.

What is the best place to store these codes? I like to store them in 1Password. I prefer not to save them in a plain-text field - I would like the codes to be "hidden" the way passwords are hidden. If I use a password field to store the backup codes, I am afraid I will accidentally "re-generate" a new password and lose the backup codes.

So is there a way to obfuscate the display of the backup codes?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Custom fields set to type password?

(That’s what I do)

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2021
    Options

@gmangesh

I do the same as XIII. I store each one in a Password field. For me this has alleviated that though of what if I regenerate. If I do that all I had to have a motive. Well that's what allows me to sleep at night. :chuffed:

• gmangesh
    gmangesh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. So no other way to obfuscate other than using a password field and live with the possibility of accidentally 'regenerating' the backup codes.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gmangesh:

If I understand your concern properly, you must first be in edit mode to do this. Then, even if you did this by mistake, you can always discard the changes before saving the item :+1:

• oliver_b_fischer
    oliver_b_fischer
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi @ag_tommy,

wouldn't it be worth to have a new feature request for a new field type text block, which behaves like the field for notes? I am a lazy person and always splitting up the list of backup codes takes a lot of time and I simply would like to take them and to store them.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oliver_b_fischer:

Thank you for the feedback! I have sent your request to the developers :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#124

This discussion has been closed.