Help me to understand the value of separating attachments/files from 1PW entries

oliver_b_fischer
oliver_b_fischer
Community Member

I am a long-time and happy 1PW user on MacOS. Up to now, my primary vault is in iCloud. It works very well for me.

When I tried out the personal vault, I recognized that I can't keep all related items in in 1PW entry. In stead they wre scattered over many different items. I played with this feature to understand who it works. But IMHO this is a regression under the point of UX.

To achive the same level of convenience is now impossible and I can't see any advantage in the new way how it is done. I am already considering to leave 1PW.

Looking for your answer.

Oliver

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @oliver_b_fischer!

I can't comment on the business reason of this choice, because I am afraid this is something we have no involvement in technical support, but I would imagine that this was done so you had more flexibility in managing files: before, you could only add a file to another entry. Right now instead, you can add documents even separately (which is useful in those cases where it doesn't make sense to attach an item to another if it's an "independent" file), and you can customize them, by adding custom fields and tags, for example.

If you prefer a behavior similar to attachments, you can also link the attachments to the relevant items:

Link related items in 1Password

• oliver_b_fischer
    oliver_b_fischer
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, thank you for your explanation. I see the flexibility, but I also count the number of interactions points I have to pass to achive the same. It is like in the kitchen. There are people with a lot of tools and there are with a set of sharp knifes.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

I support @oliver_b_fischer's remarks (I don't remember, if I voiced this before, but this is one of the really negative issues I feel with 1Password).

I expect attachments in the entry they belong to. I'd like to attach an image of my driver license to my drivers license entry. I'd like to attach the official pdf of my mother's care certificate to the entry I save the details around my mother's care stuff. And there may be more than 1 file I'd like to attach, such as the front and back image of my driver license, or multiple versions of my signature I keep in *.png images, or multiple care certificates of my mother.

I don't want to create numerous 1 file document records and on top a web of referring links through my vault. It's also not possible to create cross-vault links. I just want to attach files to the entry to where they belong. I know 1Password isn't meant to be a sophisticated document management system, but if you offer an attachment feature in the first place, please keep usability from the user's perspective in mind, not database normalization from a developer's perspective. In its current state, I rather not use it at all to not clutter my vault with 1-file-documents and distracting links all over - I'd rather just use the files directly from the file system. It's just too inconvenient at creation and at keeping stuff up to date.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

@oliver_b_fischer, @Tertius3:

I see the flexibility, but I also count the number of interactions points I have to pass to achive the same.

I expect attachments in the entry they belong to. I'd like to attach an image of my driver license to my drivers license entry.

Understood! In this case, you will both be happy to know that the latest Early Access version of 1Password 8 allows you to add attachments once again ;)

Attach files directly to your items so you have them close at hand.

• oliver_b_fischer
    oliver_b_fischer
    Community Member

As a Mac user I would prefer to use the Mac version. I think it will come later, am I right @ag_ana

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Correct @oliver_b_fischer :+1:

• oliver_b_fischer
    oliver_b_fischer
    Community Member

Ok @ag_ana, so I will be patient ;-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• oliver_b_fischer
    oliver_b_fischer
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, do you have a ETA?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2021

We have not publicly announced a date at this time. "Soon." :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.