1password osx installer v6.8.9 is broken, hangs at final step !

gr2021
gr2021
Community Member
edited August 2021 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi
I noticed today that the installer is broken, i tried it on 3 machines (macbook pro 2012, macbook pro 2020, imac 2019, all which have the last version of Catalina…anyone else notice this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• gr2021
    gr2021
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Here
    A log

Clearly shows that the installer had been compromised, regardless of how many times i downloaded it its nothing to do with the OS compatibility..its the installer

• gr2021
    gr2021
    Community Member

Can you share a copy? The one online wint install

• gr2021
    gr2021
    Community Member

Can you share a copy? The one online wont install, its been altered not to i guess

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

@gr2021:

Do you get an error message in the installer window when you try to install it? (The installer you download from our website has not been altered, so you can certainly download it from there)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gr2021:

I noticed that you posted also in another discussion, I have merged all the comments to keep everything in one place :+1: Are you downloading the installer from here?

• gr2021
    gr2021
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for posting, you cant blame me or anyone wondering about the one time lifetime purchased version of 1password becoming obsolete since the cloud based subscription v7 was pushed and there is even a thread here about a person accidentally erasing his 1password app then recovering it from a backup (NOT RE-DOWNLOADING IT) 😂

BTW the link you shared is not the same installer i got at all, where is this one from?
    The one i got was at https://app-updates.agilebits.com/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gr2021:

That link is the one from our Download page, the one you get by clicking on the 1Password 6.8.9 for Mac entry :+1:

However, they should both point to the same app, so it should work either way. What is the exact version of macOS on these devices?

• gr2021
    gr2021
    Community Member

Yeah, the console shows errors with one of them.
    Im running the last version of Catalina on 3 different devices…

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gr2021:

If you are allowed to do this, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

If you could also add the console logs to your email, that would also be useful :+1:

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• gr2021
    gr2021
    Community Member

The log above is not the same thing? Apple told me the issue was with the developer according to the report, that the app was compromised possibly by hackers cause there was no report it was corrupted.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gr2021:

A diagnostics report contains more information than just the installation log:

About 1Password diagnostics information

In your case, if the app is not installed, it might not be able to collect a lot more information, but there might still be something useful (perhaps even from a previous installation of 1Password).

• gr2021
    gr2021
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for explaining but How do i carry out a diagnostic?
    The version you game me works, the old one hangs at the last step so how is it done?

Thanx

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gr2021:

Hi, thanks for explaining but How do i carry out a diagnostic?

Do you see the instructions in this link I posted above? I am copy pasting them here too, just in case:

Get the 1Password troubleshooting utility. The download is a .zip file. If it’s not automatically uncompressed, double-click it to uncompress it.
    Double-click the 1PasswordTroubleshooting app.
    Click Open when asked if you’re sure you want to open it.
    Click Create Report. It may take a moment.
    Click Show Report in Finder.
    Attach the 1PasswordDiagnostics .zip file to your reply to 1Password Support.

The version you game me works, the old one hangs at the last step so how is it done?

This is good to know, thank you for the update. I am hoping that the diagnostics report could collected some information about the version that doesn't work.

• gr2021
    gr2021
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Hi

Do you have a French support staff?, The network admin at the French Prefect where I am advised me to un install this utility as it gathers too much information that is un related to issues such as a possibly of a incompatible, corrupt or compromised installer such as the 1password installer I am posting about. , the installer you shared a link for works for now but the first one still has issues according to this network guy here, so you guys know

thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gr2021:

Yes, we have some people who speak French. Please feel free to ask it in your email and we will do our best to answer in French :+1:

• gr2021
    gr2021
    Community Member

No I meant in France

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gr2021:

The network admin at the French Prefect where I am advised me to un install this utility as it gathers too much information that is un related to issues such as a possibly of a incompatible, corrupt or compromised installer such as the 1password installer I am posting about.

If the concern is about the privacy of the diagnostics report tool, we have a page about that too which should hopefully help alleviate your concerns.

The information gathered so far might not be enough to understand why this was happening to you with your file, and not with the one I shared with you. To understand that, we need a more general overview of the system as a whole, hence where the diagnostics report would be useful.

You could also send it to us in encrypted form, if it helps:

Send an encrypted email to 1Password Support

I should also say that, while I am glad that the version of the 1Password app that I shared with you installed without problems, 1Password 6 has now been retired, and has not received updates for years now. For security reasons, our recommendation is to update to 1Password 7: even in case of installer bugs, all of our development work is going towards the latest version of the 1Password apps, so no further changes will be made to legacy apps going forward.

• gr2021
    gr2021
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Hello and thanks for your help.,

The french prefect’s office is sort like the DOJ and State dept so they are a bit strict with sharing any info outside their own networks., just using my phone to connect outside is monitored via security.

but its all good, the link you gave me is good, the installer works and i have 1password 6 up and running., i dont know what good it is to run this utility if the first installer could not even start the installation process., then again there is a log do i can be wrong.

Regardless im ok now, Thanks again!

• On behalf of Ana, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.