How do collections work?

XIII
XIII
Community Member

Congratulations on releasing the Early Access version of 1Password 8 for macOS!

Even on macOS 1Password is now using Google's Electron framework (like the Windows version)... :cry:

Thank you Dave for mentioning Collections.

Works great for filtering in Watchtower! But how do I use them for filtering log in suggestions in a browser?

Comments

• Good morning @XIII ! I just answered this one here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/606531/#Comment_606531

But I will repost for you:

I also have some vaults that contain items I don't typically want to see. For that we created Vault Collections. You can create a new one from the user menu.

Mine currently says "Manage" because I already have some, but for you it should say "Create". Give that a try and let me know what you think.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

I just found out myself and edited my post before seeing your answer... :blush:

How do I use Collections in the browser, to filter suggestions?

• The browser extension does not yet use Collections to filter suggestions. It's still using the concept of excluded vaults from 1Password 7. Here's how you can exclude vaults there:

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member

@MrRooni
    Thanks for reply.

You said the extension will no longer be bundled - any thought to walking this decision back some? I appreciate it probably simplifies development or allows you to slightly more modular in your approach, but its basically forcing an extension on everyone that is far heavier and more resource intensive than it needs to be?

As for the electron framework issue, the performance of the App (not the extension, the performance of the extension is pretty bad atm) is very good, but it is a real shame you had to use a Google framework - if there are any alternative solutions out there that you could investigate and implement instead, I am sure a lot of people would appreciate it.

--

A usability question (to anyone) - The new App doesn't seem to show Categories in the sidebar by default anymore, is there anyway to bring this back (I found it quite convenient to switch between logins, cards, etc).

• @gussic If we were to bundle an extension it would be the one that's currently shipping in the Mac App Store. However, web extensions can only be deployed to the Mac App Store, so we wouldn't have been able to put it in the version that ships from our website. This left us with only the choice of deploying it separately.

In terms of using Electron, it's the packaging that we're using today, but we do have our eyes on some others we might switch to in the future. Nothing to announce today, though.

Regarding categories, we moved them to a filter at the top of the item list. Can you let me know how this fits into your use cases?

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member

@MrRooni The new extension is a massive fail, and to be frank, your team should be embarrassed by how many more resources it requires - >245mb just for the extension alone. Compare that with <20 mb for the old extension.

As for categories, I used them all the time to quickly switch between categories from the sidebar in 1P7 the drop down list is much slower to use, and requires more clicks and is just jarring. Why was using them as a filter seen as a good idea? They worked fantastically the way they were, seems like the definition of trying to fix something that wasn't broken...

• @gussic I created a separate thread for your feedback about the new Safari extension, it might be more productive to post there: https://1password.community/discussion/122609/memory-usage-in-1password-for-safari#latest

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member

@roustem I was replying to @MrRooni 's point - I have replied to your post in that thread. You can see the majority of my post actually concentrated on the categories issue.

This discussion has been closed.