Big Sur update & 7.8 1Password Slow Startup

Options
curtpusa
curtpusa
Community Member

Prior to the Big Sur update, both my iMacs with the fusion options started up in less then a minute. Now with Big Sur, my startup times can run up to 3 minutes or longer. I think part of the problem is with Big Sur but I also see the 1Password (Safari Extension? or program?) take a good deal of time loading at start up. Never noticed this before with 1Password. The long startup times for Macs had always bothered me over the years but thought this issue was finally fixed when I started ordering my iMacs with the Fusion option. Then came Big Sur with the slow startups again. I have illiminated all login items at startup, even went so far as to do a clean install of everything. Looks like the only solution to speedy startups will be the new Silicon Proccessor/SSD Drives on the new iMacs coming out (maybe April 2021). Anybody else seeing the same slow startups & maybe found a solution short of waiting for the new Silicon iMacs?

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: ?? How to find vers #
OS Version: 11.2.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @curtpusa!

For startup times, I think you will see a big improvement if you switch to a SSD disk. The new processor can also help, but the SSD is what really gives a big improvement in the speed of everything you do with a Mac.

• hsmoliar
    hsmoliar
    Community Member
    Options

I have pretty much the same problem. I am running Big Sur 11.5.1 on an iMac with 1Password 7.8.6 and the startup takes longer than 3 minutes and the hangup seems to be 1Password. Please help.

• @hsmoliar

I often see this on older Macs with less available RAM are slowed down by the OS especially when the user is using an Antivirus as it runs as root and 1Password runs as a normal user. The Antivirus will run with a higher priority. Typically this slowdown alleviates once the Mac has stopped rationing resources, such as it has finished a startup scan. Can you try restarting in Safe Mode? Then start 1Password that should help understand if it is 1Password or another chain of events.

Apple Support - How to use safe mode on your Mac

• hsmoliar
    hsmoliar
    Community Member
    Options

This iMac is just a few months old and has 64gigs of RAM. I am using Sonos antivirus but I will try safe mode. thanks.

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2021
    Options

@hsmoliar

Configuring Sophos may help. Please let us know if this continues.

• hsmoliar
    hsmoliar
    Community Member
    Options

This helps. I have a similar problem (not 1Password related) with Apple Mail taking ages to launch. Any thoughts on that one?
    Thanks very much
    H

• @hsmoliar

I have not experienced that, but the Mrs. often did and she had gmail set up and saved every message. I culled some of her old non used or needed messages and got things in a better shape. I would recommend checking with someone more familiar about mail. Maybe this will give you a place to start from in the search for answers. Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.