New Safari Extension App unable to unlock

Options

Hello!

Seeing that 1P8 was in early access for the Mac, I wanted to give it a whirl. Installed the new companion extension app (nice -- like the separation to provide easier updates), and I can't seem to get the extension to unlock after following the instructions in the companion. If not a known issue, is there anything I can try or provide? I've tried everything short of rebooting. Beta extensions for Firefox and Edge are working well, and feel much better than 7x on unlocking.

Cheers,
Mitch

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: macOS 11.5.1

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lwndow!

Are 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 perhaps both running at the same time when this happens? I wonder if there could be some interference here with Safari not understanding what 1Password app to connect to.

• seraw
    seraw
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have the same issue. Disabled 1P7 and the old safari extension, rebooted and they still aren't communicating.

Almost seems like maybe the wrong companion app was linked for Safari? It doesn't seem to be a beta companion extension.. its just the stand alone store version that is available in the App store.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hey guys,

You'll want to make sure that in 1Password 7's preferences -> Browsers, the "Always keep extension helper running" option is disabled.
    In the new 1Password 8 beta's Preferences -> Browsers, make sure that "Connect with 1Password in the browser" is enabled.

If you've had to change one of the above, restart your Mac, Make sure that 1Password 7 is closed and is not running in the background, open and unlock the 1Password 8 beta first, then open Safari and see if the extension unlocks when you click it.

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

I know this is old thread but I've the same or related problem. 1P is running, I can access it from the menu bar but every time I try to login to a website I get the unlock button but nothing happens when I click it.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @iwaddo ,
    Do you have 1Password 8 installed on your Mac? Or are you running 1Password 7?

If you're on 1Password 7, you just need to restart 1Password and Safari like so:
    1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit Safari by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Safari and test if it is working properly.

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron Sorry, I should have said, I am running 8.4.0 80400010 and the 2.1.3.

If I had to guess I'd say that the extension seems to have got itself stuck, I've deliberately not rebooted or anything just in case there are any logs or investigation that I can do to help.

Regards, Ian.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks Ian.

No logs are needed at the moment, unless you are experiencing this issue constantly.
    For now, you should be able to resolve it by quitting 1Password and the browser completely or by restarting your computer. :)

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron

Quitting 1P and Safari did resolve the problem, interestingly I did not have to reenter my 1P password which surprised me.

I then realised that quitting 1P does not necessarily quit 1P fully, it depends on the status of the 'Keep 1Password in the menu bar' setting, which in my case is ticked.

Thank you for your support.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, quitting 1Password completely requires you to right-click the menu bar icon and quitting it from there :)

Glad to hear it helped :-1:

This discussion has been closed.