Locked out with authenticator

Options
lungrunner
lungrunner
Community Member

I was going online on my MacOS X machine to 1Password.com to make sure I had two-factor authentication turned on. I entered my information and secret key but the next screen asked for my 6 digit Authentication Code. I was surprised because I don't recall setting this up. I went to all my Authentication Apps but none had one for 1Password. So I cannot get into 1Password.com. If, in the past, I had scanned the QR code with an Authenticate App I do not recall doing so and none of the Authentication Apps present a code to enter. What to do now? I cannot figure out how to get into 1Password.com online

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.5

Comments

• Hello @lungrunner! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with accessing your 1Password account because you don't have your two-factor code. Are you signed into 1Password on any of your devices? If you are then you can disable two-factor authentication for your 1Password account in any of the 1Password apps using the instructions here:

If you lose access to your authenticator app

This will then allow you to sign into your account on 1Password.com.

If you're not currently signed anywhere then please send an email to support@1password.com so that we can help you directly.

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member
    Options

Still having issues. Now the issue is on my iPhone device. I got through the 2-Factor authentication above using Microsoft's Authenticate. But on my device two problems: It is asking for a 6 digit authentication code which it is not accepting on my iphone Authenticate App (used previously with 1Password being the App requesting a code). It keeps failing. I have terminated the 1Password App and relaunched but same thing. I went online to 1Password.com and requested a 2 Factor code for the iPHone. I did not try to deleted the device, yet. But returning to the iPhone it still would not accept the 6 digit code. THen after 1Password fatigued it asked me for my Master password and had my correct email address and Secret Key. It still would not accept that!! Not sure what next step is but thought I better ask

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member
    Options

also restarted iPhone. Incidentally when try to Sign In it is as if it ignores me. I do not receive an error message such as wrong password. Nothing happens. No message.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lungrunner:

If the authenticator codes are being rejected on this specific device (and they worked on another device), the very first thing that is worth checking is if the time is the same on all of your devices. 2FA is very time-sensitive, so any drift in time on any of your devices could cause the authenticator codes to be rejected.

A good resource that makes it easy to check this is the following website:

https://time.is/

After making sure the time is the same on every one of your devices, your authenticator codes should be accepted.

I have terminated the 1Password App and relaunched but same thing. I went online to 1Password.com and requested a 2 Factor code for the iPHone.

Can you please clarify this? You get your authenticator codes from the authenticator app you have installed (Microsoft Authenticator in your case), so what code did you get from 1Password.com?

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member
    Options

Times are identical. I gave up trying on my iPhone. Went to my iPad. Opened Microsoft Authenticator. Went to Add Account>Other. Opened 1Password.com on Chrome on iMacPro>MyProfile. Unhide the QR code. Every time I tried to scan the tiny QR code with iPhone Authenticator it rapidly asked to rescan. Could not scan it on iPad. Went back to my iPhone. Used its Authenticator Code and entered it into iPad. It worked! Went back to iPhone. This time it took my Authenticator code. Go figure!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lungrunner:

What matters is that things are working again after all :) Thank you for the update and for sharing what worked for you with the community!

This discussion has been closed.