Can't sign into 1Pass on 2nd computer

Options

I'm trying to move into 1Pass at the recommendation of my coworker, who loves it. It's been about a week now and it's just been "ok". I find much about 1Pass that isn't intuitive.

My daily drivers are my Windows laptop, Windows desktop, and an iPhone. I'm signed into the laptop fine. I changed my master password a couple days ago, and now cannot sign into 1Pass on my desktop. I know I'm using the right password. Does anyone have any insight into what may be going on here?

Also, do I need both the Chrome extension, and the Windows app on both the computers? Is one, or the other, sufficient?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PolarSuns!

I changed my master password a couple days ago, and now cannot sign into 1Pass on my desktop. I know I'm using the right password. Does anyone have any insight into what may be going on here?

Make sure you enter your old password at least once in 1Password for Windows on your desktop computer to unlock it. Then click the red authentication error banner and sign in with your new Master Password. From that point on you can unlock 1Password for Windows with the new password :+1:

Also, do I need both the Chrome extension, and the Windows app on both the computers? Is one, or the other, sufficient?

Either of them are sufficient alone, but I recommend using both: without the Chrome extension, 1Password won't be able to fill credentials on websites for you and you will have to copy paste them instead, and without the desktop app you won't have access to some of the features. If you install both of them, you can use one or the other when necessary.

• PolarSuns
    PolarSuns
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info.

If I can't remember the old password (it was complex and I deleted it from my files already), can I just remove and reinstall the extension and app?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PolarSuns:

That is an option, although reinstalling alone would not not be enough in this case, you would have to reset the app:

How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device

After launching it again, you will be able to login directly with your new credentials directly :+1:

• PolarSuns
    PolarSuns
    Community Member
    Options

Your suggestion worked great, thanks so much for the help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @PolarSuns, I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.