Browser extensions required for 1Password 8 for Mac

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1PW8 for macOS.

Comments

• jFred
    jFred
    Community Member
    Options

I am running 1PW in the Browser v2.0.5 in both Chrome and Edge. As well as 1PW for Safari v2.0.6. Are these browser extension versions good enough for the early access 1PW8?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jFred

They sure are. :) Please let us know if you have any difficulties.

Ben

• jFred
    jFred
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I installed the Early Access for Mac and 1Password for Safari 2.0.6 on a Mac running Catalina (10.15.7 (19H1323)) and for some reason, the 1Password extension simply does not show up in the Safari preferences. Quitting, relaunching, rebooting, nothing seems to do it.
    Is that a known issue?? Any suggestion??

Corentin

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue as Corentin.

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

I thought the Browser (Safari) extension install was a little confusing. The 1PW8 install page says "You'll also want to use the beta release of 1Password in your browser:" and directs you to the App Store to install a "non-beta" 1Password for Safari?

• Ben
    Options

@rr0ss0rr

I apologize for the confusion.

directs you to the App Store to install a "non-beta" 1Password for Safari?

The App Store doesn't allow us to refer to it as a beta within the store. 1Password for Safari from the App Store is the correct extension to use in Safari for integration with 1Password 8. :)

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@cortig and @mikebore

Do you see the 1Password for Safari application in your /Applications folder? Have you tried opening it there?

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

It’s the App Store version I have indeed (but it’s resisting all my efforts to get it to appear in the Safari preferences).

Corentin

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. @Ben .. maybe a comment on the install page?

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Sure: I see it and I opened it. And it displayed notification asking me to enable it in the Safari preferences>Extensions.

Corentin

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Same as Corentin. Yes "1Password for Safari" app ver 2.0.6 is in the Apps folder and opening it produces a small window directing me to enable it in Safari Prefs > Extensions where there is no sign of it.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, I tried installing on a Monterey Mac and no problem there.
    I wonder whether it could be a Catalina-related issue.

Corentin

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

1Password for Safari v2.0.6 not working on Catalina here either. Completely useless.

The blue button to "Open Safari Preferences" in the 1Password for Safari app does nothing. Manually going to Safari > Preferences > Extensions doesn't show the 1Password extension either so there's nothing to turn on.

Was this even tested on Catalina?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cortig @mikebore @snozdop

Thanks for the report, ya'll! I'm afraid I don't have a Mac running Catalina to test this on, but I'm curious if you've uninstalled 1Password 7. If not, is that extension appearing in Safari's Preferences?

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

@Kaitlyn I’ve followed the instructions for the early access and I had deleted the app. The previous extension is therefore not showing up in Safari either.

That being said… I’m not 100% sure it’s a Catalina-related issue. I’ve hear of other users having the same issue with other versions of the OS.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your speedy response, @cortig. It's much appreciated.

Reading back through this thread, it seems like you've tried quitting, relaunching, and rebooting - does that go for both 1Password 8 as well as Safari (and rebooting your computer, of course)? I'm working on getting it on the development team's radar, so I want to make sure to pass along the things you've tried thus far.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

@Kaitlyn I tried relaunching the Safari extension app, Safari itself as well as 1Password 8.
    In any case, rebooting—by nature—has also effectively relaunched them all.

Corentin

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For sure. Thanks for that, @cortig. I reached out to my team to see if they have any other ideas for us.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021
    Options

@cortig – Alright, I'm wondering if you can run a command in Terminal for me.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

That command will rebuild the launch services database, which includes the extension. It's worked for myself in the past, so I'm hoping it comes in handy here. Out of curiosity, do you have Safari Tech Preview installed at all? The last time I ran into something like this, it was an issue around STP, so that's why I'm curious.

ref: dev/core/core#8822

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn before I ran your command, I tried a few things here and there (not helping), then re-re-rebooted the Mac and this time the extension was listed.
    I suspect it could have been a LaunchService-related issue indeed…

Corentin

• maxrsiegel
    maxrsiegel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @kaitlyn! I was running into this issue in Firefox and Safari with the latest Early Access and browser betas installed. Running your Terminal command resolved the issue for me in both Safari and Firefox immediately — no Mac/1PW restart necessary 👍🏻

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cortig – I have such a love-hate relationship with rebooting. 🙈 I'm so glad to hear things are working well for you, but there's a part of me that will always wonder why re-re-booting is what ended up helping. Anyways, keep a close eye on it, and feel free to reach back out if you run into any more trouble.

@maxrsiegel – Love to see it! It's good to know that little trick worked. I'll be sure to keep it in mind if folks run into similar issues. Thanks for taking the time to let me know you saw some success. 🤗

• maxrsiegel
    maxrsiegel
    Community Member
    Options

For sure! But for what it's worth, while the Terminal command worked well for me on my M1 MacBook Air, I still had to reboot my (Intel) 2019 16" MacBook Pro a few times before it worked, like Cortig did.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

@Kaitlyn I see rebooting as a quick and efficient way to get all the rogue processes in the background to quit and relaunch without having to tweak things manually forever in the shell.
    Now… why did it work after two reboots, I have no idea… Maybe it eventually forced the Mac to update the LS database or eliminated a corrupted link somewhere.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

It's definitely a problem in Big Sur as well.

• digitpass
    digitpass
    Community Member
    Options

I'm wondering if you can run a command in Terminal for me.

@kaitlyn

I had the same issue with the extension not showing in Safari. That terminal command fixed it. :)

• dnoll
    dnoll
    Community Member
    Options

I also had the issue of the 1Password Safari extension not showing under extensions. It was working one day, then randomly disappeared. Running the posted command in terminal worked for me, too.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Arrrggghhhh, the problem is back. The extension was back in Safari and disappeared again.
    Really a weird issue!

This discussion has been closed.