Password Strength? (Windows Early Access)

One feature I liked on my Mac version of 1Password is that I can sort passwords based on password strength so I can find the weak ones and try to increase entropy on them. It also helps remind me which companies to bug via shaming them on social media or reaching out to their support teams to try to increase password complexity allowances (the ones capping you at 12 characters deserve to be shamed though).

I like the new Watchtower showing me a distribution of password strength, but if there's no quick way to find these low strength passwords, then that's going to be hard to get the user to improve their account security!

1Password Version: 8.1.2-82.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• HI @techtroubles101, nice to meet you 👋 And I definitely appreciate your affinity for strong passwords, and encouraging others to build for security!

To the business at hand: I understand you're using the 1Password for Windows Early Access, looking at the weak passwords in Watchtower.

When you're in Watchtower, there should be a panel that says Weak Passwords (this is assuming that you have any). At the bottom, you'll see an option that says Show Items. Select that, and it'll take you to a culled list of the items with a password that should be changed. 👍

Does that appear for you when you're in Watchtower? If you see something different, feel free to let us know. We'll figure it out together. 😃

• techtroubles101
    techtroubles101
    Community Member

Hey there, sorry for my lack of response @PeterG_1P, I guess we're now in the 1Password 8 Windows release version now. There's still no way to see which passwords I have are in which category on the Watchtower screen. I don't have any "Weak Passwords," but my worst is "Fair." I'd like to see which accounts those are so I can try to beef those up to Fantastic.

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2021

Hi @techtroubles101 , greetings once again. You're correct, the beefing-up of Watchtower you're referring to didn't make it in time for the Stable release of 1Password 8.4.0. However, we can appreciate the value of the use case you've described here.

This (potential) feature isn't dead, and if there were no chance of it happening I'd let you know. I can't share the status of any ongoing projects at 1Password - we announce features at their time of release, rather than before - but we are listening and I hope that the improvements to Watchtower ahead will delight you. Thanks for bumping this thread so we could talk about it!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/-#817

• Hi @techtroubles101, I have an update for you!

In our latest Beta, it is now possible to sort your passwords by Watchtower strength rating, so that you can easily locate all the "weak" passwords, "fair" ones, and so on. Here's how it works!

First, you'll need to be on the Beta release channel. If you still are, currently, then you should be able to just update the app and the new feature will appear. 👍

Within the app:

1. Go to Watchtower
    2. Click on the color-coded bar beneath "Overall Password Strength."

This will open a list of your items, sorted by strength, with a label at the top of each section (so all your "fantastic" passwords appear first, and so on down the list). And hopefully that will be helpful as you deal with whatever passwords need strengthening!

Thanks again for your feedback on this so far, and we hope this will come as welcome news. 🥳

Full details on this release here:

https://1password.community/discussion/128543/beta-12-of-2022-is-now-available-️#latest

This discussion has been closed.