To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

sign in issue

skylark
skylark
Community Member

Hi, hoping someone out there can help me with this. The hard drive on my mac died the other day, so I bought a new one. Unfortunately, the only place my 1 password Master Password was saved was on the. mac, so I've lost it permanently. Is there a way to get access to my 1pw account and transfer my data to my new mac? Many thanks for any ideas on this. I did try going to the 1 password site and changing my password, but in order to change your password you need your Master Password. :-(.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@skylark I'm afraid the only option is to remember or find a record of your master password. Did you print your Emergency Kit? Did you backup your mac with Time Machine? Are you still logged in on any other devices?
    https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@skylark:

rootzero was spot on here: for your privacy and security, your Master Password is not stored anywhere, only you know it. This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts. If you have an Individual account or a standalone license, I recommend reading this article to try and recover your Master Password:

If you forgot your Master Password or you can’t unlock 1Password

If, on the other hand, you are part of a Families or Business account, you can ask another Admin to recover your account for you:

Recover accounts for family or team members

If you still cannot recover your Master Password, we can certainly delete your account so you can create a new one with a new Master Password you know.

• skylark
    skylark
    Community Member

Thank you, Ana and rootzero.

I read the articles you sent, Ana, and it looks like I may be able to open onepassword by using my apple Touch ID instead of my password. The article says, "If 1Password is locked, you’ll see a message that “1Password is trying to unlock.” The instructions say to then use your touch id to unlock 1Password. But I don't get a message saying 1password is locked because it's not installed on my new computer. I tried installing it, but it won't install, probably because it thinks I don't have a subscription, but I do. I have my license number if that will help. How do I get 1password installed on my computer so that I can try to open it using apple touch id?

Thank you!
    Sharon

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@skylark:

But I don't get a message saying 1password is locked because it's not installed on my new computer.

Indeed, you will have to have 1Password already installed if you want to try to unlock it with Touch ID. If 1Password is not installed yet, you will have to install it, but the first time you will be prompted for your Master Password for security reasons, so I don't believe Touch ID would help you in this case :(

Do you perhaps have access to another device where you have 1Password installed, and that you can unlock with Touch ID? Perhaps another Mac or another iPhone or iPad?

• skylark
    skylark
    Community Member

That's what I feared. So now I have a new question. But I'll start a new discussion for it. Thanks, Skylark!
    Sharon

• @skylark

Feel free to continue here or start a new one. :)

This discussion has been closed.