1PW8 - missing OTP QR code scanner?

The OTP QR code scanner feature is missing. If I click "add OTP" then it just shows a text string field. Nothing else. No Option to scan the Code or paste the QR code Pic into 1PW app

1Password Version: 80200044
Extension Version: 206
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Tales
    Tales
    Community Member

Hi!

In the old 1password, I would often add OTP (One time passwords) by scanning the QR code with your awesome little screen scanner tool. The new version doesn't allow for this and requests me to input a OTP code. Sadly, most websites don't give this code in a raw format for me to put in.

I would like this feature to return.

1Password Version: 8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @telephoneman2 !

Right. QR code scanning is not implemented yet. But as a workaround, you are able to scan a QR code with the help of the browser extension. This should work.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @Tales !

QR code scanning is not implemented yet. But as a workaround, you are able to scan a QR code with the help of the browser extension. This should work.

• Joshua_ag
    edited August 2021

Hi @telephoneman2 ,

Thanks @DenalB

@DenalB is correct that feature has not been added to the new version yet. I have added your voice to our internal tracker to let the developers know they should add it.

You can two-factor authentication codes using 1Password in the browser as @DenalB said. Here is the guide on how to do that: https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/#to-save-your-qr-code-using-1password-in-your-browser

If you don't have it already here is the link to get the latest version of 1Password in Safari: https://apps.apple.com/app/1password-for-safari/id1569813296

ref: dev/core/core#5963

• @Tales

I merged your thread into this one so you can see the workaround. Additionally I added your name to that same internal tracker. :)

• Frank_Louwers
    Frank_Louwers
    Community Member

I do hope this feature will be in the 1PW8 Desktop release?

• Hi @Frank_Louwers:

I can't make any promises, but I've added your name to the same internal tracker as well. :smile:

ref: dev/core/core#5963

• krusnof
    krusnof
    Community Member

yeah bunkers that the QR scanner is not included (still)

• Hey @krusnof:

I've added your input to the internal tracker for this as well. Thanks!

Jack

• Flipflip79
    Flipflip79
    Community Member

Want to add my voice here too - this feature is basically crucial.

• Hi @Flipflip79:

Added your voice as well! :smile:

• Seeee
    Seeee
    Community Member

Please also add me to the tracker list.

• Done, @Seeee. Thank you!

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Please add my vote for this as well.

• Thank you everyone for letting us know this feature is important to you. 🤗

I would like to better understand the use case y'all have in mind for wanting this feature in the app rather than directly in the browser. To me personally I find having the QR Code scanner available directly within the browser to be exactly what I want. I'm already in my browser browsing away when I go to enable 2FA on a site and see the QRCode. All I need to do is open the popup, use the login that is (usually) already selected for me, click the overflow icon, and select Scan QR Code. From there 1Password will automatically scan the code, add the secret to the selected item, and fill the current one-time password into the field.

A quick click to verify the filled one-time password on the site and I'm done. It's super slick. When I compare that to needing to switch apps, there are a lot more steps:

1. Switch to the main app
    2. Search for the login I want to update
    3. Enter edit mode
    4. Add a new field One-Time Password field
    5. Click the QR Code icon (assuming we added it back)
    6. Help the scanner find the QR Code (i.e. switch apps, scroll to make sure it's fully visible)
    7. Save the login
    8. Once again go back to the browser
    9. Paste the one-time password

This is how I used to do things. It was pretty cool but it was quite disjointed with a lot of context switching. After using the incredibly slick browser-integrated approach I've never looked back.

So I'm curious what is the driving force behind this request to add this functionality to the app. Is it because you're scanning codes that are outside of a browser or are finding the browser integrated approach isn't supporting your use case?

Thanks for sharing.

++dave;

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

@dteare Part of the problem may be that people simply don't know it's available in the browser extension, and assume it's been removed completely, as it's nowhere to be seen where it used to be.

There's absolutely nothing in the main app (as in v7 there was a little icon on one-time password fields that it was there), to now tell you it's moved to the extension.

For example, if you're going through the list of WatchTower Inactive 2FA sites in the main 1PW app adding 2FA, it doesn't tell you anywhere that you can use the browser extension to scan the codes.

Even in the extension itself, the option is hidden away in the three dots menu.

Perhaps, for logins of sites where 2FA is available, but not yet setup, there needs to be some prompt or visual cue in the main item details to show you what to do, in both the extension and the main app?

• That's a good point. In addition to your 2FA banner idea in item details, perhaps while editing an OTP secret we should show a QR Code icon that has a tooltip that highlights how to do this in the browser. That could be pretty nice.

Would that help everyone in this thread or is there other use cases we're not considering? 🤔

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@dteare I'm using a two monitor system (macOS if it matters) with 1PW most of the time on the smaller monitor at the right hand side. Whenever I create an account or just a password I use the main application and not the browser extension. The main reason is that I would like to add additional data like notes, attachments immediately because later on I might forget to add this data. This worked up to and including 1PW7. In 1PW8 this still works as long as the created account doesn't offfer OTP or any other code that requires qr code scanning.
    Version now forces me to create a new account in the browser extension or at least scan the qr code within the extension. If I'm not mistaken the extension doesn't support to edit all account fields and I'm now have to use both the extension and the main app for a workflow that previously just required one of them.

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2022

Hey folks! QR code scanning has arrived in the latest Beta of 1Password 8 😀

You can find the details here.

Thank you @telephoneman2 @Tales @Frank_Louwers @DenalB @viswiz @krusnof @snozdop @Flipflip79 @Seeee for contributing the conversation here, and helping us make 1Password 8 stronger yet. We hope you enjoy the update!

• Tales
    Tales
    Community Member

Thanks! Looking forward to trying it

• krusnof
    krusnof
    Community Member

I tried it—bugs. After scanning a code it continues to "observe the screen" as indicated by macOS security. I had to quit the app for it to stop... even lock screen. cc @PeterG_1P

• @krusnof

I've brought this up to the team for further review.

• krusnof
    krusnof
    Community Member

• krusnof
    krusnof
    Community Member

That's when you're locked screen

• @krusnof

Thank you for that screenshot it was very helpful. I was about to ask for one. :chuffed: The team is investigating further. Thank you for reporting this.

This discussion has been closed.