New version does not search in notes field anymore

Options

When using the 1Password search, it does not consider the notes field anymore. In previous versions I was able to search for "forti" and was presented with the item shown in the screenshot. Now I need to search specifically for server, user or the entry title for the result to show up. It would be great to see all fields searchable again.

1Password Version: 8.1.2-82.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: WIndows 10

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mathiasw!

I have tested this and I was able to see results even if the text is included in the notes field. I have tested it with a Login item, what category is this item in for you, so I can test that one too, just in case?

• mathiasw
    mathiasw
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, in my case it's a server item.

Actually it seems to be specific for URLs inside of the notes field. If you try the following as a note - login or any other category - you will find, that you can search for the text (e.g. testnote), but not parts of the URL (e.g. testurl):

testnote http://testurl.com sometext http://someurl.com

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mathiasw:

Thank you! Since I am using a more recent internal build and this is working as expected, I assume this has been fixed already, so you should see it start working again in one of the next public updates ;)

• BSi
    BSi
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana:

There's a connected issue with the latest public beta build (8.1.2-82.BETA) which causes the search to exclude the username field from the lookup. In other words, the previous beta was able to search for the data entered to the username field, while the current can't. Could you please check whether this has been fixed too?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BSi:

I have checked, and that also seems to work fine:

• BSi
    BSi
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana:

Thanks for your reply! I've done some more tests and turned out that the issue occurs only with some characters, for example if the username contains a dot in it (e.g. in case the username is "b.bb" or "b.bona"). Please try to create an entry with these usernames and test it with that.

Also while we're talking about the search functionality, how could I search within a specific vault or among a given entry type? Or in other words, how smart this new search omnibox is? Does it support special classification (e.g. vault, category, field or any other filtering) and a more refined search logic, like OR and AND operators?

• Dom_1P
    Dom_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BSi !

Thanks for trying the EA release and for the valuable feedback!

We will have a search scoping feature soon where you can tell search what to look in. So far it's planned to allow scoping by vault, tag, favourite, and category. So you would tell search what to search in and then type your query. We hope that this will give everyone a more powerful way to find what they are looking for.

We had did have an issue where search wasn't really able to understand URL's. So we tried to improve on that. It should be able to handle the search you had there for "forti", but that change didn't quite make it out. So we have fixed that and it should be coming soon.

We should also be searching for usernames but it could be the case that it's not picking up the text correctly. I tested this in our latest internal build and the build that we have out in beta. I created an item with a username of "testing.test". When I searched for "test", "testing", and "testing.test" I was able to find the item. So it's possible that we have fixed this problem, but it just didn't make it out to EA.
    Does this describe how you were searching or did I get it wrong?

• BSi
    BSi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dom_1P

Thanks for looking into it. I've also tested with the username "test" and "testing.test", which indeed works, however the examples I've explicitly listed earlier ("b.bb", "b.bona") does not. Interestingly "b.some" works correctly too, which suspects that this might be some internal parser issue, which mistreats "b.bb" and "b.bona" strings.

Please try with these two examples in your internal version to check whether the issue has been fully corrected or not.

• Dom_1P
    Dom_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BSi

You are correct! It looks like if a single character comes before the period it's not searchable. I have filed an issue for this and assigned it to myself. I will get this corrected. Thanks for finding and reporting this.

This discussion has been closed.