New "Archive" function & vault confusing when moving items between vaults

Options
ItsWilder
ItsWilder
Community Member

I've been trying to understand and use the new "Archive" vault (uppercase "A") which replaces the old Trash. My initial problem was that I was keeping items in Trash for a short while before permanently deleting them, so when this new feature was launched, I already had several items in it there I needed to delete in order to start fresh.

Once I cleaned it out, I started to add a few items from a vault I created called "archive" (lowercase "a" to distinguish between it and "Archive" with an uppercase "A"). I started slow with about 2 or 3 items for a test - then went about my day.

A few days later I came back and began moving a few items between vaults for better organization when I realized that every one of the items I moved were now also in the new Archive vault. Wait. What? How can that be? I didn't actually archive these items, I just moved them from one vault to another.

It was then I reached out on twitter and found that every time 1Password moves an item, it actually copies it into the new "Archive" vault.

This is massively confusing to me. A user will eventually wind up with a mix of items that are actually archived items, with dozens or hundreds of duplicate versions that were just being moved between vaults but the user never intended to actually archive.

Apparently this works as intended. Can someone please describe why 1Password believes this is the way it should function? What's the use case for wanting archived items mixed in with tons of items that were just meant to be moved from one vault to another? Am I missing something because this seems like a recipe for a lot of confusion.

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.1

Comments

• Hello @ItsWilder! 👋

I agree that this was confusing behaviour. The good news is that this has been fixed in the latest version of 1Password for Mac (which is version 7.8.7 at the time of writing):

Fixed an issue that would cause items to be archived in the source vault when doing a move of an item to a secondary vault. {#5357}

I recommend updating to version 7.8.7 so that you no longer run into the issue. Let me know if that helps. :)

• ItsWilder
    ItsWilder
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting! My license is through the Mac App Store, which doesn't have that update available yet (see attached screenshot). I'll keep checking though. Thanks @Dave_1P!

p.s. I also didn't realize I was behind on my Mac OS either, so I at least was able to upgrade to 11.5.2!

• @ItsWilder Sounds good! 👍

The Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 sometimes lags behind the website version when it comes to updates since we have to wait on Apple's review but it should be available soon.

This discussion has been closed.