Trying out 1P 8 one one of my 1P7 license Macs

VT1P
VT1P
Community Member

I see the early access version of 1P8 is out. I would like to try it by setting up a free trial on one of my 1P7 license version Macs, running Big Sur 11.5.2 .

I see step one is to close 1P7 and Safari, then move 1P7 from my Applications folder to the trash. Should I also delete my current Safari 1P 7.8.7 extension? If I put my 1P7 1Password.opvault in a desktop folder on my Mac, then download 1P8 and the new Safari extension, and set up a trial account, will 1P8 have the same Sync preference as 1P7 that lets me Sync to a selected folder? Will 1P8 recognize and access the 1P7 1Password.opvault in my desktop folder?

Thank you for your advice!

Comments

• Hi @VT1P!

Thanks for your interest in trying out the 1Password 8 Early Access. :) If you're currently using a standalone vault the first step would be to sign up for a trial membership and migrate your data to that using 1Password 7:

Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

Once complete you should be able to follow the instructions in the announcement post. To answer some of your questions more directly though:

I see step one is to close 1P7 and Safari, then move 1P7 from my Applications folder to the trash. Should I also delete my current Safari 1P 7.8.7 extension?

With v7 the Safari extension is bundled inside the 1Password 7 for Mac application. Deleting the app will also delete the Safari extension inside of it.

If I put my 1P7 1Password.opvault in a desktop folder on my Mac, then download 1P8 and the new Safari extension, and set up a trial account, will 1P8 have the same Sync preference as 1P7 that lets me Sync to a selected folder? Will 1P8 recognize and access the 1P7 1Password.opvault in my desktop folder?

It will not; no. 1Password 8 doesn't know anything about standalone vaults or syncing with anything other than a 1Password membership.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member

Ben,

I thought I had read there is no local sync option for 1P8, which you have confirmed.

I use the 1P7 license version on four Macs, plus an iPad, which syncs by wifi from my iMac. Currently, if I add a new item to my vault, or edit an existing item, on any Mac, the change will sync automatically to every other Mac, and to then to the iPad, using my current sync solution. If I get a 1P8 subscription and run it on the same computers and the iPad, but I mostly use the desktop app, and the mobile app on the iPad(?), but I only sign-in to my 1P.com account infrequently from the various computers, will items added or edited on one computer not sync to the other computers until each of the other computers is signed-in to my 1P.com account?

• @VT1P

They'd all need to be signed into the same 1Password membership in order to sync, but they don't all have to be online at the same time, if that's what you're asking. :) Unlike syncing through the WLAN server you could make a change on one device, shut that device off, turn another device on, and have your changes from the first device appear on the second.

Ben

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Ben,

So each computer syncs to the 1P cloud as soon as it is booted or awakened from sleep, as long as it is connected to the internet, if it was previously (a month or more previously?) signed-in to my 1P cloud account? How does the 1P cloud recognize my computer as a member of my account - is it done with something like a cookie in my Mac OS? I erase my Safari cookies every time I close Safari.

• You would need to unlock 1Password in order to sync the changes.

Ben

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member

Ben,

If you mean just unlock 1P on your computer - that's fine. I just don't want to have to unlock 1P and then sign-in to my cloud account every time I want to boot or wake up a computer and use 1P on it.

Also, I went to the Migrate Your Data item and it said to do this on your main computer. Will my 1P.com account have a "main" computer? If I set up a 1P8 trial, it it will be on my least "main" computer - a MacBook, not my iMac. If my account will have a "main" computer, can I start with my MacBook and then change to my iMac? Or is there not really a "main" computer as far as 1P.com is concerned?

• @VT1P

Gotcha. No, you don't have to re-enter all of your account credentials every time you reboot etc. The app remembers all but your Master Password.

Will my 1P.com account have a "main" computer?

Nope! They're all treated equally.

Or is there not really a "main" computer as far as 1P.com is concerned?

Correct; we really just use that term to help ensure people are migrating from the device that has all of the data they want to migrate.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.