Let us try the internal SwiftUI build?

Options

You've mentioned you tried this internally for months - can you deploy for interested users to try? Give users a choice, and then get some further feedback - you might be surprised with the compromises people are willing to accept to avoid having/using Electron?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @gussic I found the build

I was able to install it but unfortunately it is not able to sign into 1Password because the server side has changed the client requirements.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@roustern - Thank you! if the changes aren't too extensive, is it possible to tweak it to be able to sign into 1P.com?

• @gussic, I am sorry I am not touching this code. It is from 6 months ago and merging it with the main branch would be a non-trivial exercise.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem Fair enough, I appreciate it isn't syncing or anything, but it uses far less memory than the Electron version, and the number of threads is significantly less as well...

• Ben
    Options

@gussic

It also doesn't have any browser integration, if I recall correctly, which would contribute to lower resource usage.

Ben

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben - valid. The fans on my MacBook Pro stopped running when I installed it though. The fans are always on now with the Electron based App. Rolled back to 1P7 to make sure I wasn't dreaming - sure enough, fans turned off.

This is why Electron Apps are terrible. No matter how little you use it, no matter how much you fine tune it, they're never, ever, good. They're always terrible in some way shape or form.

• Ben
    Options

Oof. I'm sorry to hear that. Do you mind sharing what hardware you're working with? We're working on seeing if we can do testing across a broader set of hardware. We want to do more extensive testing against Intel Macs with integrated graphics, as an example.

Ben

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I'm using a 16 inch MBP with an i9 (the top end, non BTO model available on Apple's website) with the latest macOS version (11.5.x) - also tried on my wife's 13 inch Intel MBP, same issue with fans.

The browser extension is so slow I have no idea how anyone in your Dev team though it was acceptable to ship it in this state.

• Ben
    Options

The browser extension is so slow I have no idea how anyone in your Dev team though it was acceptable to ship it in this state.

Are you using Safari by chance? There is an issue in Safari 14 (fixed in 15) that resolves that, if so.

I'm using a 16 inch MBP with an i9 (the top end, non BTO model available on Apple's website) with the latest macOS version (11.5.x) - also tried on my wife's 13 inch Intel MBP, same issue with fans.

Thank you for the additional details!

Ben

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

Yep using Safari...but why is updating to a beta software version of a browser considered an acceptable solution to get a piece of software (the extension) working reasonably - I totally get it if the extension was beta as well, but it isn't...

In any event, the performance is also bad on Edge (macOS) - but not as bad as Chrome. Even having everything else closed (bar OneDrive in the background for sync) the moment I open the desktop app the fans start whirring - even without any of the browsers open.

• awn
    awn
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem: First of all. Thank you for sharing - I didn't expect this might happen.

The app didn't offer to unlock for me unfortunately (not sure if that was expected given it doesn't connect).
    failure(Error Domain=com.1password.core Code=1003 "(null)" UserInfo={coreError=AppExpired(())})

But: The pure feeling of the locked launch screen and the real preferences window is day and night compared to what was released as EA for 1PW 8. I might be very biased here but I wish I could try how navigating and scrolling feels like using the SwiftUI version.

I can only urge you to go back and revisit this. It's not too late to acknowledge and correct a mistake yet.

• petvas
    petvas
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem
    If you want to keep us Mac users happy, then you will probably have to touch this code again. I don't think of course that you will do. I wonder, how many people have cancelled their subscriptions since you published this Electron based app? It would be interesting to know. Since you primarily seem to care about the business, I wonder how much money you are going to lose from Mac users leaving 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.