Fill Login Shortcut not Working in Chrome

Murphybp2
Murphybp2
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm not sure what has happened, but the Fill Login shortcut (⌘ + \ ) has stopped working in Chrome. It's working in Safari and Microsoft Edge, but not in Chrome.

I was running the beta version of 1Password, so I deleted it and reinstalled the regular version, but that didn't fix it. I also removed the Chrome extension and reinstalled it, but also didn't fix the problem. I had also tried using the beta version of the extension that is out there, but that didn't work either. Anytime I try and use the shortcut, I get a window that tells me to install the extension, even though it's already installed. I've seen other users report issues with the shortcut not working, but haven't seen any ways to fix it other than reinstalling, which I already tried. Any other suggestions?

Chrome Version: Version 89.0.4389.82 (Official Build) (x86_64)

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: 11.2.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Murphybp2

The extension you have installed is 1Password in the browser (formerly 1Password X), not our classic extension. It does not integrate directly with the Mac app, where the classic extension does. The newer extension is capable of working independently without the Mac app. With that said, the 1Password helper at the top our your screen has no knowledge of the newer 1Password extension. That is why you see the message to add the extension.

1Password (X) in the browser has its own pop up for suggestions within the browser. That being Shift + Command + X.

• Murphybp2
    Murphybp2
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@ag_tommy, I followed the prompts from the 1Password app to install the extension it told me to. Everything had been working fine until recently and I hadn't made any changes to the setup until after the issue arose. So how do I fix it so the shortcut will work? I prefer that as it's quicker.

• If you'd like to switch to our classic extension and regain the previous method of accessing 1Password, this set of directions will guide you.

Get the 1Password classic extension

• Murphybp2
    Murphybp2
    Community Member

Thank you.

I tried the Shift + Command + X, but all that seems to do is launch a window, not fill in the information. If it had a shortcut that did the same thing that would be fine, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is it safe to assume that the classic extension would be retired at some point in the future?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Murphybp2 ,

The new 1Password in the browser will show up on its own inside usernames/password fields on the websites you visit, so no keyboard shortcut is required at all! That's the beauty of it :)
    I do hope you'll give it a proper chance before you switch back to 1Password Classic. Here's more info on it and how to work with it: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

If you still feel like you prefer 1Password Classic, you're more than welcome to switch back.

Is it safe to assume that the classic extension would be retired at some point in the future?

We don't know the exact long term plans but it is a valid suspicion. For now, 1Password Classic is still a thing and is fully supported, so you can definitely keep enjoying it. :+1:

• Murphybp2
    Murphybp2
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron. I do use the new extension at my work where I'm not able to install the desktop app, so I'm familiar with it's features. However here are the two issues I have with it compared to classic.

1. In my experience it doesn't autofill. I still have to go and click on the suggested username/password to populate it. That means I have to take my hands off my keyboard and use my mouse/trackpad. In addition, I have sites I use where I have multiple accounts. As an example, Salesforce. I do development so I have literally dozens of accounts. With classic, when I use the autofill shortcut it populates the correct username/password without me having to scroll through a list. With the new extension, I have to scroll through all the suggested usernames to find the right one. Not fun. I'm a heavy shortcut user and try to use my keyboard as much as possible. So this is a step backwards for me.
    2. When it locks, I have to go and type in my password to unlock it. I'm using a MacBook Pro with a finger print scanner. With the classic I can unlock it just by touching the scanner. No need to enter my password again. So again, a step backwards IMO.

If you do retire the classic, then I really hope you can add the ability to use a shortcut to autofill and the ability to unlock it using the finger print scanner.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Murphybp2 ,
    Thanks for the feedback and input here.

The new 1Password in the browser shows up inside usernames and passwords fields automatically, making keyboard shortcuts unneeded, which is great for most users, but as a keyboard shortcuts guy myself, I can definitely see your point here. Perhaps you'll benefit from a few tricks I'm using:

• Instead of using my mouse to select a suggested login, I still use the keyboard. When 1Password shows up inside a field, I navigate with the arrow keys and Enter to select.
    • I still open the extension with CMD+SHIFT+X when I need to unlock it or simply want to look for something (CMD+Period in Firefox).
    • There are a bunch of keyboard shortcuts for when you open the extension that are useful: https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/#1password-in-chrome-firefox-edge-and-brave

I do development so I have literally dozens of accounts. With classic, when I use the autofill shortcut it populates the correct username/password without me having to scroll through a list.

I'm not sure what your setup is exactly, but when trying to autofill on a website where you have multiple logins, 1Password should always pop up and suggest all available logins. It does not autofill the correct one because it doesn't know the correct one (assuming the domain in the URL is identical in all login items). That's true for both extensions. You always have to select the correct login item from the list.

We're currently working on integrating the new 1Password in the browser with the desktop app, which will allow, among other things, for Touch ID unlock, so keep your apps up to date and stay tuned :)

• Murphybp2
    Murphybp2
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

The new 1Password in the browser shows up inside usernames and passwords fields automatically, making keyboard shortcuts unneeded

Thanks @ag_yaron for the tips. I would disagree with your initial statement that shortcuts are unneeded. As a long-time 1Password user, I would prefer having a shortcut that fills in the login credentials rather than having to move my hands to navigate and click. Or, if there were an option for the extension to automatically fill in the credentials when the site loads and there is only a single matching entry, then that would solve the problem. Many years ago when I used LastPass it did this. But that's not what's happening when I use the 1Password extension today. I still have to take steps to fill the credentials.

While I appreciate the suggestions you give for navigating with arrows, these to me are just workarounds to the fact there isn't a single shortcut to fill in the credentials. It seems if I use CMD+SHIFT+X to open the window and then hit RETURN it will fill the credentials, but this again is more steps than how it works in classic. 😊

As far as the multiple logins goes, the URLs are unique. It seems the problem is that they all contain "my.salesforce.com" in them, and the password manager is returning any entry that has that in the URL. If I open the 1Password window it will have the correct entry as the top entry, but agin, it's an extra step.

I tested it in Safari as well, and it does list the correct entry as the first one on the site, so it must be an issue with the Chrome extension.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Murphybp2 ,
    Thanks for the additional feedback, much appreciated :+1:

Or, if there were an option for the extension to automatically fill in the credentials when the site loads and there is only a single matching entry, then that would solve the problem.

Well, if you press CMD+SHIFT+X, then start typing the name of the website you want to open, and hit Enter when you find it, 1Password will load the page and autofill it for you without requiring any additional clicks or actions. Perhaps that is the workflow you'll find most useful?

As for the multiple logins for salesforce, firstly, I removed the screenshots since there was some personal information in them (e.g. emails/usernames).
    It is quite interesting that the extension behaves differently in different browsers. Basically, 1Password will arrange suggestions like so:

• Favorites that contain exact matches of the domain + subdomain.
    • Favorites that contain the same domain (but can have a different subdomain).
    • Exact matches of the domain+subdomain.
    • Exact matches of the domain (subdomain can be different).

I saw in your screenshots that most (if not all) logins were marked as favorites, so I'm wondering if that messes things up a bit there.
    If you'd like, we can troubleshoot this via email, so we can share screenshots and videos in a private manner. I do feel like this is something we can troubleshoot and resolve so that 1Password in Chrome will suggest the correct login first according to the exact domain+subdomain in the URL.

• Murphybp2
    Murphybp2
    Community Member

@ag_yaron, I gotta be honest. I'm a bit taken back by the continual attempts to get me to conform the way I work to your tool. As someone who has worked in the IT industry for almost 15 years as a Business/Systems Analyst, and is very familiar with software design approaches and methodologies, it's not a winning strategy to essentially dismiss my use case and try to get me to adjust to your designed workflow. I've presented a very valid use case for needing a shortcut key to populate credentials, and I'm sure I'm not the only user that would want that. Given that it's been available in the classic extension for a long time seems to prove the point.

Secondly, there are many ways that I open websites, from searches to bookmarks to links from other places. The idea that I need change my workflow and use 1Password as my bookmark manager/launcher just to make it simpler to autofill the credentials doesn't make sense.

As far as troubleshooting how the extension works in Chrome, if you need more information from me to debug it feel free to reach out. It works in Safari so there must be something different in the Chrome logic. It's really not a big deal to me thought as I'm planning on using the classic extension for now.

• Hey @Murphybp2. I know Yaron is very passionate about our newer extension and was not trying to dismiss your input here. I see your point about the usefulness of that one-step shortcut to fill a login like the classic extension has. I'm hopeful we'll be able to add that at some point in the new extension, as well.

It sounds like you have a good handle on your current workflow using the classic extension. If you do switch back to the new extension and want to troubleshoot that ordering, we'd be happy to do so via email (support+extensions@1password.com). The screenshots would be very helpful, but since this is a public community, they needed to be deleted.

• briandela
    briandela
    Community Member

Is there eventually a plan to have the 1 Password X extensions optionally look for the desktop app? This would enable it to unlock using, for example, Touch Id on a mac.

Right now moving from 1 Password classic browser extension to 1 Password X introduces a lot more friction, especially when setting are to lock the vault pretty often; having to enter the 1 Password X password very often vs in the 1 Password classic extension being able to leverage Touch Id on a Mac (or Hello on windows).

Would be great to have 1 Password X not require the Desktop App but leverage it for unlocking if it is present.

• michael1273
    michael1273
    Community Member

I created an account just to comment on this thread.

I agree with Murphybp2 on this, this is a step backwards. Using ⌘ + \ and then using Touch ID to unlock was a great workflow. I also can't seem to get the classic extension to work with the desktop app anymore. It's the only 1password extension installed and enabled, and when I press ⌘ + \ i'm prompted to install an extension.

I've also had frustrations with the new extension picking an entry for the login form i'm on. The entry has the correct website filled in but it wont select it. I have to have the extension create a new entry with all the same information (username, password, and exact same url) then it will pick it up.

Overall this is a bad experience with the old or new extension for me : (

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@briandela:

Is there eventually a plan to have the 1 Password X extensions optionally look for the desktop app? This would enable it to unlock using, for example, Touch Id on a mac.

Yes, our developers are working on this as we speak :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@michael1273:

I also can't seem to get the classic extension to work with the desktop app anymore. It's the only 1password extension installed and enabled, and when I press ⌘ + \ i'm prompted to install an extension.

Can you confirm what version of the 1Password browser extension you have installed, and with what browser this is happening with?

• michael1273
    michael1273
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana , thanks for the reply. I have version 4.7.5.90 of the classic extension on the latest Chrome version with 1Password desktop version 7.8

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @michael1273 ,

Please try restarting both 1Password and Chrome, then see if 1Password Classic works:
    1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test if it is working properly.

As for the autofilling issue you had with the new 1Password in the browser, we can definitely troubleshoot it if you'd like, so feel free to elaborate on that or send us some examples via email to support+extensions@1password.com and we'll gladly help you out with this :)

• taeyoulee
    taeyoulee
    Community Member

Omg @ag_tommy you saved my life.
    The chrome and safari extensions are, to put it mildly, irritating - not functioning as expected and always needs an unlock password.
    Urghhhh I'm bugged by it for like a month and now I'm totally happy with the classic extension!

• @taeyoulee

On behalf of Tommy, you are most welcome! Do let us know if you need anything else! :)

• virgofx
    virgofx
    Community Member

I agree with @Murphybp2.

Using the current extension automatic fill Login hotkey does not work. I would like to upgrade my extension from Classic to current mainline; however, without hotkey support it makes the new extension useless for power users. And no, unlocking via hotkey and then opening a new tab is not desired usecase. Please add this support to the main extension.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @virgofx, I have passed it to the developers for consideration :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#41

• DenMatOwn
    DenMatOwn
    Community Member

I have to say I've tried to like the new changes but I don't (I come back to this page often for updates). I find I'm having to use my mouse more rather than relying on keyboard shortcuts.

Previously I would command / and log into 1password, then search for the account I want to log into and open with autofill. Now I can't command / from chrome. If I want to use the command / I need to un-focus my browser window. That is really annoying.

Another example, when I use the current version on a login, I can bring up username/passwords for a particular site, but it may not show ALL the possible entries for that site, and I have no way to search from the browser window, without getting the mouse (or un-focusing from the browser) and opening up the 1password app, doing a search there and individually copying the username/password combo.

Out of the shortcuts, command / was really my favourite and made 1password more usable than any of the other password managers.

Also in corporate land, you may have more than one password manager, and it makes the user sign in field really crowded, so you need to turn at least one of them off.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DenMatOwn:

Another example, when I use the current version on a login, I can bring up username/passwords for a particular site, but it may not show ALL the possible entries for that site, and I have no way to search from the browser window, without getting the mouse (or un-focusing from the browser) and opening up the 1password app, doing a search there and individually copying the username/password combo.

If you are referring to the 1Password inline menu that appears below form fields, you can type directly in the form field to filter the results that 1Password shows you ;)

• DenMatOwn
    DenMatOwn
    Community Member

If you are referring to the 1Password inline menu that appears below form fields, you can type directly in the form field to filter the results that 1Password shows you ;)

Yep, that's when 1Password has related username/password to that particular site - and that is fine. But in cases when it doesn't, there is no free search functionality for logins/passwords like we previously had. Previously we had more power/control from the keyboard and now there is less.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I see what you mean now @DenMatOwn, thank you for the confirmation :+1:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @DenMatOwn ,

Everything you are looking for still exist within the extension, just as it were in the old classic extension. If you call the extension using its keyboard shortcut (CMD+SHIFT+X , changeable via the extension's settings page), you will get the extension's popup where you can immediately start typing with your keyboard and find whatever you need regardless of which website you're on.

The inline menu that shows up inside/under the username fields is an additional feature that will only show suggestions relevant for the current website, but the usage of the entire extension is quite similar to the classic extension:

• Call the extension (used to be CMD+\ , now it has a new shortcut).
    • Find what you need in the extension. Can be done by browsing, changing the view filter or by typing in the search bar.
    • Open and fill.
  • DenMatOwn
    DenMatOwn
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_ana and @ag_yaron for the help - I understand now.

To open the 1Password pop-up in Chrome, Edge, or Brave, press Shift-Command-X, or in Firefox, press Command-Period (.), then you can use the following shortcuts

• On behalf of Ana and Yaron, you're very welcome @DenMatOwn! :smile:

• bencox76
    bencox76
    Community Member

For me, this is still nowhere near working the same level of fluidity as the previous extension.

Step 1: When I get into a login field, I just get a box that requires me to click the "Open 1Password" button before it will allow me to proceed. Hands off the keyboard, on the mouse.

Step 2: If I happen to dismiss it, I cannot get it back using Cmd-Shift-X or Cmd-... have to click the tiny icon in the field. Hands off the keyboard, on the mouse.

It used to be I landed in a login field and hit the keyboard shortcut, which automatically opened 1Password, thus prompting me to unlock with the Touch ID above the delete key (hand still on the keyboard as I have long fingers).

Now there is no way to avoid taking my hands off the keyboard except when 1Password is already unlocked.

This thread is a bit confusing, but is there is supposed to be a way to have the Touch ID unlock take place without taking my hands off the keyboard?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bencox76 ,
    This thread is a tad outdated, but overall you should be able to call 1Password with either the extension's shortcut (CMD+SHIFT+X or CMD+. ) or with the desktop app's shortcut (CMD+\ ).

Either one should bring up the unlock prompt and ask for your Touch ID, and unlock both the desktop app and the extension.
    If that is not what you are experiencing:

1. Right-click the extension's icon in your browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    2. Locate the shortcuts section and apply (or re-apply) the shortcut CMD+SHIFT+X there.
    3. Turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option.
    4. Restart your computer.
    5. Open and unlock the 1Password desktop app, then launch your browser.
    6. Go into the extension's settings page again and turn the "Integrate with 1Password app" option back on.
    7. Test and see if the extension and desktop app now lock and unlock simultaneously and that the keyboard shortcuts work.
This discussion has been closed.