1Password offering enable of Apple Watch on 2015 Mac without the security chipset

Options

I have a Mac which doesn't have that secure element (T2?) - but 1Password offers me to enable unlock with Apple Watch- But I understood that's not possible to use on those macs. (although I have some apps where it works on that old mac, at least in 1Password 7 there was a restriction) - so proposal: either make it working on that old device or disable the possibility to enable AppleWatch unlock in Settings

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @telephoneman2!

Can you confirm what version of the 1Password for Mac app this is happening with?

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@telephoneman2:

Thank you! Can you post a screenshot of the settings menu where you see this option?

Also, what model of Mac is this exactly? I have just tested this on a Mac without a Secure Enclave and I cannot see that option show up for me.

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

sure - its an iMac 27 inch Late 2015 big Sur 11.5.2

• SteveLazarus
    SteveLazarus
    Community Member
    Options

I am getting the same "offer" on a too old iMac. But, 1Password keeps telling me "You need to enter your account password before you can use Apple Watch unlock".

I suspect there are still some disconnected wires here 😀.

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

well I have some Apps where its even working on that too old Mac. Don't know how they make that working, but in 1PW its not?

• @telephoneman2

We make use of the Secure Enclave. Some other apps may not use that ability.

Given the nature of how unlocking with Touch ID and Apple Watch works, 1Password relies on the Secure Enclave's security characteristics to safely store your secret information in a way that only 1Password can access.

This discussion has been closed.