Global shortcuts for 1password in Linux

ffmmjj
ffmmjj
Community Member

Hi,

Does the recently released 1Password for Linux already support global shortcuts (like Cmd + Alt + / in Mac) to open, search for and copy passwords? I've looked for information on this in the help and support pages but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 8.0.34
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 20.04.02
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @ffmmjj, welcome to the 1Password Support Community! 🎉

Yes, we have a full set of keyboard shortcuts ready to rock, right out of the gate. :smile:

To track them down, click the help bubble in the top-right corner of the app, followed by Keyboard Shortcuts - another option is to use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + k to open the list of shortcuts.

Let me know how it goes, or if you have any other questions! :smile:

• ffmmjj
    ffmmjj
    Community Member

Thanks @Dayton_ag .

I can see in the shortcuts list that there's one for "Show 1Password" mapped to Ctrl + \ but I can't seem to make it work on Ubuntu - I've also checked that this is not mapped to anything else at the system level so I don't think it's conflicting with another shortcut.

Were I supposed to be able to just press Ctrl + \ and pop 1password open from anywhere? Or should this shortcut actually mean something else?

• @ffmmjj

After testing this out myself on my own Ubuntu machine this evening, I ran into the same issue as you.

I've gone ahead and made our development team aware so we can take a look at what's going on here. We will update you here as soon as we know more.

• ffmmjj
    ffmmjj
    Community Member

Thanks @Blake, looking forward for this fix :)

• roustem
    edited May 2021

I believe the new default is Ctrl-Shift-\

We need to fix the help window.

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member

@Blake , @roustem .. this is a real nice piece of software. You did a great job on that!

I am working with a German keyboard layout. With that layout some key combination are really hard to work with.
    One is Ctrl-\ (secondary level, AltrGr+ß).. so I'd appreciate any possibility to use an alternative shortcut or even to define my own .. (e.g. function keys).

• Thank you, @basurerito!

It is possible to change the hotkey if you edit the config file. See this post:
    https://1password.community/discussion/120877/change-hot-key#latest

No need to restart the app after changing the config file!

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member

@roustem -
    Thanks for the link to the solution..

just as I said: you did a great job 👍🏻😆.

• Thank you ❤️

• fnl
    fnl
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

Hi; Just a friendly ping: I ran into the same issue and wanted to note that in the 8.1.2 beta 82, the help window still shows CTRL-\ instead of SHIFT-CTRL-\

• fnl
    fnl
    Community Member

Another funny issue is that CTRL-K (help for keyboard shortcuts), even when used with the focus on 1Password, doesn't work for me, at all. Has that changed, too?

• Dayton_ag
    edited August 2021

Hey there @fnl, thanks for highlighting this! I'll see if I can chase this one up. :smile:

CTRL-K (help for keyboard shortcuts), even when used with the focus on 1Password, doesn't work for me, at all

This has been changed to Ctrl+/ - could you try that out and let me know if it works for you? I can confirm this is working on my end, and is properly reflected in the Shortcuts page.

ref: /dev/core/core/#8269

• fnl
    fnl
    Community Member

Hi @Dayton_ag - nope, Ctrl+/ does not show the keyboard shortcuts, either.

• @fnl Could you tell me what version of 1Password you're currently running? To find it, click on your account in the top-left corner of the app, then head to the About 1Password tab - you should be able to find that info there.

Another user on the Forum reported that Ctrl+E isn't working for them and I was able to confirm that on `8.1.2-82.BETA (though Ctrl+/ is working fine there) - I wonder if you're bumping up against a similar issue?

Could you open the keyboard shortcut page manually (ladybug button -> Keyboard Shortcuts) and note what keyboard combo is set for opening the keyboard shortcut menu? Is it listed as Ctrl+K, or Ctrl+/?

Thanks, I look forward to getting to the bottom of this! :chuffed:

• fnl
    fnl
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

It was telling me 8.1.2-10.BETA as my version.
    The "View keyboard shortcuts" item is shown to be mapped to CTRL-K, but as said, neither of them worked.

Next, I updated to 8.1.2-82.BETA and verified the version.
    However, I still get no response no matter if using CTRL-K or CTRL-/, while the "View keyboard shortcuts" mapping now is shown to supposedly be CTRL-/.
    Also, "Show 1Password" now is indicated to be CTRL-\, but I actually (thank god, no need to have that on CTRL-\) still need to use CTRL-SHIFT-\ to pop up the 1Password app.

• Hey there @fnl, I am really sorry for this trouble here! We released 8.2.0-56 BETA yesterday, and the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+/ is working there for me - I apologize for asking you to update again, but could you give that version a shot? I do apologize again that there's been so much change on the shortcut front lately.

• fnl
    fnl
    Community Member

Hi @Dayton_ag , so I upgraded to 8.2.0-56.BETA; Now the keyboard help UI doesn't show a global keymap to open 1Password at all. Luckily, CTRL-SHIFT-\ still is the way to show 1Password. I assume that the global shortcut to open 1Password would be useful so see there?

As you can see, the UI shows CTRL-/ as the method to bring up the keyboard shortcut window. That again did not work - until I noticed something interesting: When I focus on the search bar (cursor active and blinking, blue border), the shortcut to show keyboard shortcuts finally works! So after focusing the 1Password app itself, using CTRL-F followed by CTRL-/ in fact shows the keyboard shortcuts window. I assume that, too, isn't quite how it should be?

For general reference, I am using Pop_OS! 20.10 and Gnome 3.38.3

• jc00ke
    jc00ke
    Community Member

I'm seeing what @fnl is seeing too:

When I focus on the search bar (cursor active and blinking, blue border), the shortcut to show keyboard shortcuts finally works!

I'm on 8.2.2-19.BETA

• AH! Yes, when I focus the 1Password window but remove focus from the search bar, the same thing happens for me too - the shortcut for the keyboard window doesn't pop up. I'm thinking this is not intentional (as it's not happening on Windows or Mac), so I'll file this for the Dev team to look into! Thanks for sticking with me and helping get this figured out! :smile:

ref: ref: dev/core/core#9861

• terinjokes
    terinjokes
    Community Member

It looks like the "Quick Access" window doesn't have a separate WM_CLASS property (or another unique X property) making it difficult to write a rule to allow it to be a floating window in my window manager.

• Hey there @terinjokes ! I've mentioned this to the Dev team and they'll be looking into this. :smile: :+1: Could you tell me what distro/WM combo you're running?

ref: /dev/core/core/#10554

• terinjokes
    terinjokes
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

I'm using NixOS and herbstluftwm, but the rule matching isn't too dissimilar to other tiling window managers (like Awesome or i3). Currently I'm using the following, matching on the window's title only. But obviously, some other windows might have the same name (like the locked vault window).

herbstclient rule --title='1Password' --floating=on --floatplacement=center

• Oh gosh I'm sorry, I forgot to follow up here! :scream: Thanks for sharing that rule, I can definitely see how having the Quick Access window given its own property would allow for more flexible configuration on WMs that permit per-window tiling rules. I've added the extra details to the internal issue I created earlier. :smile:

• mcdoogs
    mcdoogs
    Community Member

For Plasma 5.23.3/Kwin I was able to affect only the quick access window by matching the title to an empty string: title=^(?![\\s\\S])

Works for me, since on my system the quick access window has no title but all the other 1password windows do. It would definitely be nice to have a better way to differentiate though!

• Hey @mcdoogs:

Thanks for your input here, I'll make sure you get added to the feedback as well on this!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.