A proposed solution to all of the negative feedback about 1P8

It sounds like the ship has sailed with 1P8 so that dark direction is going to continue regardless - fine.

How about providing a stripped-down alternative for the people who care about the mac experience and about keeping their sensitive data out of the cloud?

1. Based on 1P7 codebase
  2. Continue to support local vaults and 3rd party cloud syncing
  3. Maintenance and security fixes only - no new features
  4. Subscription license only - so you get regular income which I fully appreciate is necessary for a business to operate

I would happily pay for this and I think your only overheads would be maintaining the cloud provider integrations and any fixes necessary for new versions of MacOS.

Surely this would be a better solution than losing a bunch of customers?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• claus
    claus
    Community Member

My unimportant opinion: Agile will not support/develop two versions. It would not make sense.
    We might see a few security updates but sooner or later also this chapter will be closed. Too expensive/difficult or whatever to support v7 with new MacOS and so on.
    Thats the price (users switching to another app) Agile has to pay. And pays. It is a parts of this kind of business.
    In one year nobody will complain about it, it will be history. We see it with so many other apps where similar discussion popped up - done. Like with Fantastical or Delivery (?).
    For me the chapter 1Pwd is done. I will switch, sooner or later, to a new app or, depending how it works and "feels", Apples new KeyChain/Password function.
    Sad that I have no "standalone" licence of v7 (and is not available anymore).

• lcorsini
    lcorsini
    Community Member

They are in full "damage Control" mode explaining how 1P8 is better (for them) so don't count on that.
    I don't like the direction they have taken too (while I still appreciate, finally, cross platform support) so I'll wait till the end of this year membership to decide whether to move out or not (like I did with Evernote or Fantastical when they changed business model)
    Right now 1P is still better than the alternatives for me (but I have to check bitwarden) and the current model (with cloud sync) fits my workflow, but if the mac app (currently my main work platform) will became disappointing I'll switch

• m4rkw
    m4rkw
    Community Member

I wonder how many customers they’re going to lose silently as 1P8 rolls out. I think there will be a lot of people who won’t bother complaining on a forum but will hate the terrible new user experience and leave for something else.

• lcorsini
    lcorsini
    Community Member

don't really know about that, again, it probably depends on their workflow, "new" users that use the cloud synced version are probably not really affected, unless the app gets very very sluggish.
    Right now I installed 1p8 on big sur and there it seems that electron apps behave better than catalina which was a disaster!
    Memory usage is currently on-par with V7

and fans are at low speed because it's the only electron app open, I have to see what happens when I start working again and open also slack and teams and vscode

• Right now I installed 1p8 on big sur and there it seems that electron apps behave better than catalina which was a disaster!

Thank you for mentioning this, @lcorsini ! It seems that we certainly need to do more testing on Catalina. Did you install Big Sur on the same Mac or a different computer?

• lcorsini
    lcorsini
    Community Member

Same computer, i recently upgraded from Catalina, and the first thing I noticed is that electron apps seems to out less stress on CPU fans, both the ones I use everyday (teams, slack and vscode) and 1P8 seems to work without fans going out of control.

• Same computer, i recently upgraded from Catalina, and the first thing I noticed is that electron apps seems to out less stress on CPU fans, both the ones I use everyday (teams, slack and vscode) and 1P8 seems to work without fans going out of control.

Thank you! We will look into this, I wonder if it could be recreated in a Parallels VM 🤔

This discussion has been closed.