Attachments in standalone vaults vs 1password.com vaults.

Options

I switched to subscription back in 2018.

What I am really sad to see is that v8 does not support local vaults.

Attachments of files in local vaults is just on another level in terms of convenience. Not only it is much easier and nicer to have necessary files / pdfs / licences attached directly to a required entry, but the whole list of items is clean from the attachments themselves. Whenever I have to go through the shared vault, stored on 1password.com - I have a feeling I have to dig via complete mess, with all the random attachments always clogging the list of entries. I just don't want to see those random attachments there.

I have raised this issue back in 2019 or so on the forums, and it is just sad to see that you guys did not find ways to make attachments work as they always did in standalone vaults.

Please, at least make it possible to hide all these attachments from being visible when all entries are viewed. I keep the docs only for reference and access them only when I have to. Having tons of files, sometimes with terrible naming all across the password manager is an eye sore. Config files, logs, licences, .pngs - all there all the time. Terrible experience.

This is basically the main reason why I keep my private vault on iCloud and I do not wish to switch my private vault to 1Password.com at all.

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: 7.8.7
OS Version: 11.5.2

Comments

• While 1Password 8 doesn't support standalone vaults, @Ivan_K, I suspect you'll be happy to learn that it does introduce attachments to 1Password accounts. I personally still use Document items a ton and think they have their purpose, but I definitely agree that there are times attachments that are squarely part of their parent item make a ton more sense. A picture of my passport, for example, should really just live in my Passport item. Here's how you can add an attachment to your items in 1Password 8 for Mac:

1. Edit your item (or click the + New Item button, if you're creating a new one).
    2. Click the + add more button and select Attach a File. You may need to scroll down a smidge.
    3. Choose your file in finder, then click Open.
    4. Save.

This will show your file right in that item's details, but if you swap the category at the top of the item list to Documents, it won't be anywhere to be found. :chuffed: Feel free to give it a try and if it seems to fit the bill and that's all that was holding you back, we can totally help you migrate that private vault over to your account. :+1:

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member
    Options

Well, this looks to be some good news indeed, Kate. Thank you for the info!

So, if I switch at some point to 1Password 8 and thus migrate my main standalone vault to personal 1password.com vault all attachments will just stay as they are?

This is the behaviour that is currently mentioned in the article https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/:
    "File attachments become separate items that you can manage independently. You’ll find them in the Documents category."

If migration to 1Password 8 at some point will not change how attachments are in standalone vault now - I will wait until v8 is considered stable enough and give it a test. If an option to revert to v7 if things are not smooth will still be there, probably will do some testing sooner rather than later.

Have more than 1100 items on my side and definitely wan't to keep them all well organised as they are now.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Ivan_K

So, if I switch at some point to 1Password 8 and thus migrate my main standalone vault to personal 1password.com vault all attachments will just stay as they are?

As it stands migration would result in any standalone attachments becoming Documents, which would be linked to from the item they were attached to. This is because all migration is done in 1Password 7, which doesn't support 1Password.com attachments. If you wanted them to be 1Password.com attachments instead, that would take some manual work.

It is possible this could change in the future, but that is the current state, and I'm not aware of any specific plans regarding changes there. I will certainly record your interest in that though; thank you for sharing.

Ben

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Ben

Thank you for the info.

Indeed this would be very convenient, since as @bundtkate mentioned - 1Password 8 now supports attachments the same way as standalone vaults in 1Password 7.

Being able to move to 1Password 8 from v7 in such a way that attachments are simply shown the same way as in standalone vault in v7 would definitely result in a smooth transition.

Supporting attachments in v8, but not being able to move the data, without pilling up all the list of items with attachments does not make much sense in my eyes.

As mentioned, I have around 1200 items in total in standalone vault in 1P 7. I do not wish that figure to jump to 1300 simply since attachments get detached from particular items and then get shown in "All items" view. At the moment those attachments are not named in any structured way, since they are only used rarely when needed.

Moreover, as mentioned already, I really like how things work in standalone vaults when it comes to attachments. It's not really about renaming 100 or so items, so that it does not look like a complete mess.

Thank you for taking this migration path into account. I really hope 1P 8 will mature into a product that will be considered an upgrade by most macOS users.

Ivan

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2021
    Options

Totally understand. Hopefully this is a case we'll be able to take into consideration in the future. Thanks again for taking the time to provide feedback on it. And thank you for the kind words. :)

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#9362

• StevenBedrick
    StevenBedrick
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a smoother attachment-related transition process. I'm guessing that, with standalone vaults going away, there will be a large number of users who had not previously been using 1password.com migrating their stuff in, and it would certainly be nice if we could at the very least have our existing password/file/etc. databases move over smoothly. I would certainly find it very disconcerting to suddenly have a bunch of new top-level items in my vault after migrating, since the "mental model" behind how attachments works seems quite different between 1P7 and 1P8.

This discussion has been closed.