Holding down option (⌥) / alt to reveal passwords

heyphi
heyphi
Community Member

Hello!

In 1Password 7 for Mac (and earlier versions I believe), there was the option (haha) to hold down the option key (⌥) to reveal passwords and secrets briefly.

I understand that in the current preferences, there is a toggle to always have passwords/secrets visible. I also know I can click the small chevron on the side of the password or secret to reveal an item. But this is a regression, IMHO. Holding option is much faster than having to click an item in a sub-menu.

I hope this is something you can consider reimplementing (and I would be happy to see it on my PC as well!)

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.3.1

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

No keyboard shortcut to reveal a password?

• This discussion was created from comments split from: How do collections work?.
  • @XIII

Not yet, no. This is something we're looking into. :)

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#7709

• umbrella17
    umbrella17
    Community Member

Pressing the ALT key no longer reveals passwords with the latest Early Access 1Password 8 for me. I normally keep the passwords hidden, in case 1Pw accidentally opens during a telco, but I do like to get instant keyboard access and visibility into what the passwords are, for instance to verify that I've saved the latest password into 1Pw. Will this feature come back before the official version 8 release?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:reveal password

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2021

Hey @umbrealla17

I actually raised this issue myself. It's been one of my favorites for years now. I hope to see it return soon.

ref: dev/core/core#7709

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

agreed

• dpam
    dpam
    Community Member

yes. required.

• austin
    austin
    Community Member

One feature that I used infrequently, but was extremely valuable when used, was the ability to turn off secrets concealment (Command-Shift-P). This would toggle the state for the full application, which may not be desirable, but it should be at least possible to turn off the concealment of all secrets on a given item.

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
    OS Version: Big Sur

• @austin

Thanks for the report. I hope to see it make a return.

• The option for individual items is there but it certainly would be nice to have a keyboard shortcut:

• austin
    austin
    Community Member

Ya. I know the option is still there as part of the dropdown, and I found the preference, but not having a keyboard shortcut is a regression from 1P 7 and earlier. I do think that having the keyboard operate only on the currently shown item may be a “better” option.

• RobSjaras
    RobSjaras
    Community Member

In 1P 7 you're able to hold ALT to quickly reveal a password, I can't seem to make it work in the new version though

1Password Version: 1P 8
    Extension Version: Newest one from app store
    OS Version: macOS Monterey

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2021

@RobSjaras

Hopefully it or something like it comes to life. I miss it in my use too.

• RobSjaras
    RobSjaras
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Thanks for the quick response :) Also crossing my fingers for soon.

Do you happen to know anything about rebinding shortcuts? Currently 1P 8 and Safari share the same shortcut, it's the one for tab overview (Cmd + Shift + Backslash).

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2021

The last I saw (Thursday, maybe Friday?) was one of the developers was undertaking the task for customizing shortcuts. I have no idea what that involves. I am not a developer. I have a few I need to fix so that my muscle memory quits getting me into trouble. :lol:

• @heyphi Thank you for the feedback! I mentioned this somewhere else, I love the hold-Option-to-Reveal-password but it is very problematic.

For example, a lot of screen sharing is done these days and it is possible to accidentally reveal the secrets while you might be trying to use a different shortcut, like ⌥⇧C, etc. Someone in the forum even mentioned that it happed to them recently.

We are thinking about adding a different shortcut, something like ⌘R to toggle the hidden fields.

• heyphi
    heyphi
    Community Member

@roustem Understandable, that's a fair point. Thank you for the quick response.

An alternative shortcut like ⌘R would be great; count this post as a +1 vote! Hope you can consider this soon. :)

• Thank you so much, @heyphi ! We had a lot of requests about improving the keyboard shortcuts and hope to have it done soon ❤️

• dougb
    dougb
    Community Member

+1

• Hi all.

In an effort to centralize the information about some of the more common discussion points I've merged a bunch of the feedback about using ⌥ (option/alt) to reveal passwords into this thread. Roustem posted a good summary of the current situation here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/608306/#Comment_608306

Thanks!

Ben

• benjibo
    benjibo
    Community Member

+1

• krusnof
    krusnof
    Community Member

I've submitted that feedback on day 1 to: @roustem

• I asked the dev team to bump the priority on this issue.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

In 1Password 7, Could select an item in 1Password and press the option key to reveal the password.
    This doesn’t seem to work at all in 1Password 8. I really liked that feature… I hope wasn’t killed :-\

Corentin

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.2.2-27.NIGHTLY
    Extension Version: 2.0.3
    OS Version: macOS 11

• yspreen
    yspreen
    Community Member

I've been searching for that feature for a while now but I don't believe it exists anymore. Big sad. I feel like it was one of my most used 1pw 7 features!

1Password Version: 8
    Extension Version: 2
    OS Version: macOS 12

• Hey @yspreen

We found opt / alt to be problematic, but are investigating an alternative. Additional explanation is available here.

Ben

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

+1

• GGlick
    GGlick
    Community Member

I'm glad to see the return of similar functionality in the 80202080 build, but I don't care for how the new ⌘R shortcut for revealing passwords conflicts with the default browser shortcut for reloading pages. On my system (Big Sur 11.6, if that matters), pressing ⌘R while using the 1Password browser extension results in the page being reloaded, and doesn't have any effect on the extension window. While I'd personally prefer to just be able to down the Option key to reveal passwords again, if that's no longer going to be a, well, option, I would like to be able to either customize the reveal shortcut so it doesn't conflict with other browser shortcuts I frequently use, or for the extension to capture the shortcut rather than the browser.

This discussion has been closed.