Dropbox vault support in iOS app

archgrove
archgrove
Community Member

I understand that the 1Password 8 "Early access" apps don't support local vaults. I have a 1Password subscription, but also use local vaults. Whilst I can continue to use v7 for desktops, I'd like confirmation that local vaults will continue to be supported in the iOS applications in the future?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @archgrove,

Thanks for your question, local vaults won't be part of the mobile apps in the future either.

• archgrove
    archgrove
    Community Member

Is there a timeline for removal, as I'll need to migrate to an alternate password manager at that point?

• rudy
    edited August 2021

@archgrove,

That functionality will remain in v7 of the app, v8 will be a separate download in the app store. There isn't any timeline for the availability of v8 at this time.

• archgrove
    archgrove
    Community Member

Ah, OK. Good to know - thanks!

• On behalf of Rudy, you're welcome.

• NSPredicate
    NSPredicate
    Community Member

Thank you for this information, rudy.

When switching to a new iPhone, all apps need to get re-downloaded from Apple's servers, since your installed app binaries are no longer included in iPhone backups. So when 1Password 8 is released as a new SKU, will also you keep the 1Password 7 iOS app available for download indefinitely (with its App Store page hidden), as is customary in these cases to not invalidate the purchases of existing customers? Or will you remove the app at some point as yet another opportunity to motivate people to switch to the cloud subscription plans when they get a new iPhone?

Under other circumstances, it wouldn't have occurred to me to ask, but there has been such a strong push to the cloud subscription plans, using dark patterns and explanations with just a shred of plausible deniability, that this scenario seemed not completely inconceivable to me.

I've mostly accepted that, long-term, I will need to switch to a different password manager, but since I am very happy with my current setup (1Password 7 on iOS and Mac, using local vaults), I still hope to keep it working for as long as possible.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@NSPredicate:

So when 1Password 8 is released as a new SKU, will also you keep the 1Password 7 iOS app available for download indefinitely (with its App Store page hidden), as is customary in these cases to not invalidate the purchases of existing customers?

Even if an app is removed from the store, you will be able to continue downloading it from your purchase history:

See your purchase history for the App Store, iTunes Store, and more - apple.com

• NSPredicate
    NSPredicate
    Community Member

That is very reassuring to know. Thank you very much for the clarification, @ag_ana.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @NSPredicate! I am glad I could help :)

This discussion has been closed.