Doomsday Scenario

Options
PK2
PK2
Community Member
edited August 2021 in Lounge

Let's say the 1Password Company vanishes and the internet goes down. All I have left is my air-gapped computer and 1Password files.

Do I have all the information I would need stored locally on my computer? (e.g., passwords, documents, etc)?

What is the best way to back-up my data on my own (not relying on the cloud) and make super-double sure that I can recover my information in case of the above doomsday scenario?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

@PK2 you'd have everything except documents you have not explicitly opened on your devices. Documents are downloaded on a per-item basis not as part of a general sync.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@PK2 The only way I know to make a backup is to export the individual items. I export to CSV and import this in to Keepass, taking care to delete the CSV when finished.
    This works for login items and secure notes. Documents need to be dealt with individually, but I don't bother as 1Password is not my master record for these.

• PK2
    PK2
    Community Member
    Options

Thank y'all!

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We never want to be in a position to lock people out of their own data, @PK2. As MerryBit pointed out, there is an issue with Documents, as they don't live within your local database. We are working on providing a mechanism to make sure that people will still have access to those even if we all get abducted by aliens. But I don't want to promise anything until it is delivered.

This discussion has been closed.