How is two-factor authentication supposed to work for web sites?

dadavies
dadavies
Community Member

I can't work out how to use two-factor authentication for web sites that support it. In 1Password I see that 2fa is available for a site, so I head on over to the relevant account and set up 2fa, which generates a QR code in the browser. I go back to 1Password and choose 'Scan QR code' which opens up a grey window (attached). Then what? That window needs to be transparent to scan the QR code beneath it. If I turn on the camera from the icon bottom right in the grey window I see me staring at my computer screen, which is no use. And the option to 'drop your code into this window' doesn't help as the QR code in the web site that I want to turn 2fa on for isn't draggable/droppable. I can't find any support article that helps with this so if anyone has got it to work please can you give me some tips? I'm using Safari on a Mac.

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: 7.8.7
OS Version: Mac OS 11.4

Comments

• Hello @dadavies! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble scanning a two-factor QR code using 1Password for Mac. Are you by any chance using the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac? If you are then this version doesn't support scanning QR codes and I suggest that you install the website version of 1Password for Mac instead:

How to install the 1Password app from 1Password.com after installing it from the Mac App Store

I hope that helps. :)

• dadavies
    dadavies
    Community Member

Thanks Dave, yes I was using the Mac App Store version. It's unfortunate that the feature is there in the app but doesn't work. I've downloaded the website version and it works now.

• @dadavies I'm happy that QR code scanning is now working for you after switching to the website version. :)

Unfortunately there are some limitations that Apple puts onto apps published through the Mac App Store and the QR code scanner runs up against one of those limitations.

This discussion has been closed.