To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Where are all my passwords?

mnrwilks
mnrwilks
Community Member

I purchased 1password when it first came out and paid good money for it at that time. Now, when I log into my "account", all my passwords are no longer there. Just wants me to repurchase the upgrade?! Please advise. thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mnrwilks

I'd be happy to help with that. Accounts are a relatively new (circa 2015) concept for 1Password. If you've been using 1Password longer than that, you wouldn't have been storing your data in an account. Earlier versions of 1Password stored your data on your device only, by default, with an option to sync that data using either Dropbox or iCloud. A few questions that may help us track this down:

1. What device were you last able to access your 1Password data on?
    2. Do you still have access to that device?
    3. What has changed in regard to 1Password on that device since you were last able to access your data?
    4. Did you have 1Password configured to sync your data with either Dropbox or iCloud? If so, which?

Please let us know. Thanks!

Ben

• madefresh
    madefresh
    Community Member

Hi Ben, can you advise - I recently updated my Mac OS and the app crashes as soon as I try to log in, it's like an instant reaction so there is no way around it. I then tried connecting to my husband's account from his machine but upgrading to a Team account, which was nice, but none of my passwords are in there (naturally, it's not connected). How can get into an application that keeps crashing upon trying to open it?

• @madefresh

Let's replace the app. it sounds like it may have been damaged during an update.

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart the Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • madefresh
    madefresh
    Community Member

I had already downloaded/installed the new app, which is 'empty'. The old app will open, but will 'crash' as soon as a hit 'enter' after typing in the password.

That being said, I will try to see if I can follow your steps above - but maybe some of the additional points I've added lend a little more clarity on what is actually going on in the first place.

• madefresh
    madefresh
    Community Member

One more question - if I try the technique above, do I delete the new app as well and start from scratch?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@madefresh:

The old app will open, but will 'crash' as soon as a hit 'enter' after typing in the password.

What version number does this "old app" have?

One more question - if I try the technique above, do I delete the new app as well and start from scratch?

I would leave the other app where it is for the moment, until we understand the configuration you are using :+1:

• madefresh
    madefresh
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana - version 3.8.20 (build 31499)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@madefresh:

Thank you for the confirmation. I am actually surprised that you were still able to use version 3, since the last update to the app was released in 2014. Please send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com and we will see if there is anything we can do to help.

After you have sent the email, please post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• madefresh
    madefresh
    Community Member

Wow, okay thank you! My OS was very outdated, and I just updated it which affected the functionality of this outdated version of 1Password. I probably should have researched a way to back it up first, but maybe you have a workaround. I really need this password data, so I would be extremely grateful for your help here.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@madefresh:

Thank you, I see your email :+1: I will let my colleagues know that you posted here on the forum too, so they can see all the details.

ref: ALJ-14213-926

This discussion has been closed.