Changes in 1Password 8

Options
Mark Sealey
Mark Sealey
Community Member

1P 8

I've read what I hope are scare stories that the next major upgrade to 1Password (8?) will not support retention of local data; and will be electron-based.

I've been a loyal customer almost since 1P was launched, and do not want to abandon it unless those rumours are true.

Can anyone set my mind at rest, please?

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• cyberskier
    cyberskier
    Community Member
    Options

As Han Solo said —

Crazy thing is, it’s true. The lack of support of local data, the Electron part — all of it. It’s all true.

(Well, the Electron part is partially true. I believe it handles the UI, while Rust is doing the heavy lifting)

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @cyberskier.

It is?

I guess I could live with Electron. After all Obsidian seems to do OK.

But what happens if Internet connectivity is interrupted/lost/compromised?

I've always - always - found AgileBits to be responsive, forward-thinking and capable of great things.

Am I missing something?

• cyberskier
    cyberskier
    Community Member
    Options

@Mark Sealey Your data will be cache locally still, after the initial sync. You just can’t have local vaults any longer.

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think that's for me. I change my data all the time in 1P. If I were without it and it were stored remotely, I'd be very nervous. Not to mention its vulnerability.

What is the consensus on a good alternative, please?

:-(

• Hello @Mark Sealey ! 👋

If you have a 1Password account then 1Password 8 will cache your data locally just as 1Password 7 does. Even if your internet connection goes offline you'll still have access to your 1Password items since they're encrypted and cached locally on your Mac.

There's no change to how this works if you're already used to using a 1Password account with 1Password 7.

The next time that your Mac connects to the internet 1Password 8 will send any changes that you've made to your 1Password account in order to make sure that you see the same items on all of your devices.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the re-assurance, Dave.

I have always thought that 1P 7 stores and caches as you say.

Why is there such negative comment on the absence of local saved data for 8 if it's the same as for 7; you you know, please?

• Ben
    Options

@Mark Sealey

The difference is that 1Password 8 will require the use of 1Password.com/.ca/.eu. There isn't a "standalone" option. That is a separte consideration from being able to work offline, which 1Password 8 does great. :+1:

Ben

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Ben.

Do you mean that there's to be no longer a desktop app - and that all password management is web-based?

That is a deal-breaker for me, if I'm understanding you correctly :-(

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2021
    Options

@Mark Sealey

Sorry, no, that isn't what I mean at all. Desktop and mobile apps continue to be an imporant component in the 1Password experience. What isn't going to exist going forward is vaults that live exclusively on your computer (a "standalone" vault). If you do not have a vault called "Primary" in 1Password 7, this does not affect you. You'll be able to use the 1Password 8 apps just fine out of the box without doing any sort of migration. If you do have a vault called "Primary" then you'll still be able to use 1Password 8, but there would be a migration that would need to be done first;

Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

Ben

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply. I have a single vault on my iMac. It isn't actually called 'Primary'. I also have a 1P account.

But, since starting this thread, I have been doing a bit of reading. Some commentators are saying that from 1P 8 onwards, its use will be web-based and there will be no native app on my desktop.

I confess to being a little confused. Is Jason Snell wrong?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2021
    Options

@Mark Sealey

Thanks for your reply. I have a single vault on my iMac. It isn't actually called 'Primary'. I also have a 1P account.

Great. In that case you'll be able to use 1Password 8 out of the box without going through a migration.

its use will be web-based and there will be no native app on my desktop.

If people are saying there won't be a desktop 1Password app anymore, then yes, they're wrong. As mentioned above, the apps continue to be an important part of the 1Password ecosystem. So much so that we recently wrote a blog post on exactly that point:

There’s an app for that: why we built the 1Password apps

And you can read about the 1Password 8 for Mac app specifically, which is now in Early Access (akin to a 'beta'), here:

1Password 8 for Mac is now in Early Access! 🎉

Jason isn't saying that there won't be a Mac app. What he is saying is that it won't be a native Mac app. His concern is about the technologies we're using to build the app, not the existence of it. The fact that we're using "web technologies" to build the app has no bearing on the ability to use it while offline.

Does that help clarify the situation?

Ben

• ibuys
    ibuys
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Your patience and professionalism in this PR storm (occasionally my own posts included) is to be commended.

• Ben
    Options

@ibuys

Thank you. 💙 I care deeply about what we do here. I've been at it for 13 years. It is difficult to not take the criticism personally, but I try to keep in mind that folks only post because they too are passionate about 1Password. If nobody cared, nobody would post, and I'd much rather have a community that cares than one that doesn't.

A tough week, to be sure. Thanks again for the kind words.

Ben

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Ben! And seconded, @ibuys.

There is obviously a lot of misinformation and half truths about.

I've been with 1P for a very long time and really don't want to abandon it and Agile.

Shall wait and see. Good luck!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks much @Mark Sealey. :)

Ben

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

Quick question as a longtime user: will folks have to upgrade to v8.0 or can they stick with 7.x while being a 1PW family or other subscriber? I know this is early access and things are going to be improved, but whether that is sufficient is of course TBD. Just checking. Thanks.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

1PW7 will work with Monterey, and AgileBits will never force you to upgrade (though sometimes it may ask/invite you to do so). Whether 1PW7 will still work with the successor to Monterey no-one can say at the moment.

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

Understood. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.