Apple Watch Is Sorta' Unlocking 1PW8

Options
VirgilBoy
VirgilBoy
Community Member

I am on a M1 Mac Mini...so Touch ID not a possibility with my Logitech keyboard.

So, when I start the 1PW unlock process, I get the main app window with place to enter my master p/w and a touch ID icon. To let my watch do the unlock, I have to click on the TouchId icon for the watch to prompt me to double-click.

When I investigate within 1PW preferences, I see Apple Watch checked but greyed out.

Have I set up something incorrectly or is this a bug???

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: 11.5.2

Comments

• @VirgilBoy

Could I trouble you to try a restart? That seems to help a few others here in the community. Please let me know how it goes.

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi @ag_tommy

Just did a restart on the mini and no change...still have the extra step of clicking on the TouchID button.

The greyed out issue was user error...1PW locked when I checked the preferences.

Same bug on my 2019 MacBook Pro on which I installed the 1PW 8 beta today.

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I, too, have that extra step, even after a restart. M1 Mac mini as well. The fact that you can just hit return to trigger that button kinda speeds up the unlock, but really, before general release this needs to be automatic. That is, 1P 8 needs to:

• Automatically ask for Apple Watch/Touch ID if enabled when on unlock screens
    • Not require the main app when unlocking Quick Access or a browser extension, because right now that opens the main app and then leaves you there, not in Quick Access (it does properly hide again for browser extensions, though), and also leaves the 1P app in our recent side of the Dock when unlocking since the main app was indeed opened

Basically, 1P 8 might be a regression in many areas (some argue, even I did at first, that Electron alone is one major regression), but the quick access to items is absolutely central to the entire product. As such, that must be the same or better. Right now that experience is worse.

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

With today's update, I am seeing progress! There is the Apple Watch icon. On both my Intel MacBook and M1 Mac mini

However, it still needs me to click the icon before I am asked to double-click the Watch button.

John

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that is some improvement. But it is not up to par with 1P 7 yet. Both of my points above still are valid and need to be worked on. Yes, at this point Quick Access stays up, but so does the main app, which should not come up at all for unlocking unless it is what we opened ourselves.

• Thank you for reporting this issue. We are trying to get it right because 1Password can't simply show the Touch ID prompt every time it becomes active. For example, you wouldn't want to see if you hide the window that was above 1Password and it became active without explicit user action.

Right now, if you lock and quick 1Password and then start it again, it would show the Touch ID prompt. However, we should certainly be showing the prompt if the dock icons is clicked, etc.

• SpaceSwift
    SpaceSwift
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I just saw this topic, so if a mod can merge this topic here that would be great.

With the current release today, I too now see the Watch icon which is a step in the right direction. However, on my Intel Based Mac mini, I too am having issues with it.

1. Automatic triggering does not occur when I attempt to unlock.
    2. When I try the workaround mentioned above (hitting return to trigger the Watch Unlock) I would note that it actually still keeps focus on the password field, which means the prompt cannot be quickly exited (for example, if you hit the Esc key, it doesn't close the watch prompt) so this isn't a great workaround for long term.
  • Good morning, folks. I've just filed a new issue based on your feedback. In testing 1Password 7 and the new beta, the main difference I could come up with is that the new beta does not automatically prompt when the app is brought back to the foreground while locked. For your future reference the issue number is #9449. You can write in ask about it any time.

• x19
    x19
    Community Member
    Options

I actually didn't realize this was possible because the option doesn't appear in Security preferences unless you've got this enabled at the system level. I had recently swapped my watch, and hadn't yet turned this on system wide.

I understand why you would hide this if the user hadn't enabled the capability at the system level, but displaying it greyed out with an explanation would be more helpful and would encourage folks to take advantage of a great Mac feature they may not be aware of or had forgotten.

This discussion has been closed.