Wrong (generic) icon for 1Password in my dock

Options
bobgoldstein1passwrd
bobgoldstein1passwrd
Community Member

I just re-installed 1Password and the icon in my dock labeled 1password is just the generic icon with a blank sheet, a pencil, and a ruler. How to correct?

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @bobgoldstein1passwrd

Click on the 1Password icon in the Dock and continue holding, then drag it off the Dock, until you see the word Remove. At that time, you can let go, and the shortcut will be gone. I find that I need to drag it about 1/4 of the screen, away from the Dock, before Remove appears next to the icon. Next open 1Password from your Applications folder. Once the icon appears in the Dock, right-click it and select Options > Keep in Dock.

Does that help?

• bobgoldstein1passwrd
    bobgoldstein1passwrd
    Community Member
    Options

Yes,
    Thanks! Worked just as you described.

• Excellent.

• Digi_H
    Digi_H
    Community Member
    Options

Did exactly as above for the same problem but the 1P ican that appeared on opening was also the generic blank one?

• Digi_H
    Digi_H
    Community Member
    Options

Did exactly as above for the same problem but the 1P ican that appeared on opening was also the generic blank one? I should add only happened after recent update that failed mid up dater and had to be redone.
    1Password 7
    Version 7.8.7 (70807004)
    1Password Store

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Digi_H:

I should add only happened after recent update that failed mid up dater and had to be redone.

This might have something to do with it. If you look inside your Mac's Applications folder, do you perhaps see multiple copies of the 1Password app?

• Digi_H
    Digi_H
    Community Member
    Options

No just the one. During the last update the update failed leaving me with no app in my Application folder so I had to do a Time Machine restore of the App and then the update worked the second time. I assume somewhere during this process the Icon for this or a setting for it was lost/corrupted. Putting an Alias in the dock is fine and oddly makes 1P open faster?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Digi_H:

You could also try replacing the 1Password app with a fresh copy from our website, in case something went wrong when restoring the app from the backup. Your data is stored in a separate folder, so replacing the app won't touch it.

• Digi_H
    Digi_H
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I will try that. Do I need to remove any other plist files or others. Or is just a app reinstall required

• @Digi_H

Just a reinstall. Let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.