App requires master password constantly.

kctater
kctater
Community Member

I'm on trial, aiming to switch from LastPass due to privacy concerns.

I can't seem to figure out the right setting. I don't want to use my master password every time I use the app, which is maybe a couple times per day on average.

I have a PIN established, and will not use biometric unlock since my phone doesn't have a fingerprint reader (thanks Google). I've tried require password every week, every 30 days, lock after 10 minutes, turned off Lock on exit and can't find the right combination.

I just want to periodically be prompted for my master password, but otherwise be able to open the app or the popups using my PIN. Am I misunderstanding the settings?

Comments

• Hello @kctater thanks for reaching out to us!

When 1Password is closed completely by restarting your device, tapping exit, removing it from the list of recent apps or if your device terminates it in the background your account password will be required to unlock 1Password. Biometric unlock can replace the need for your account password in this situation but your PIN cannot.

To achieve what you described I would recommend turning Lock on exit off and setting Automatically lock to your desired interval. With Lock on exit off you will be able to keep 1Password running in the background without it locking. With Automatically lock set to a specific interval you will be required to enter your account password after 1Password is open but inactive for that amount of time.

If you find that your account password is still required more frequently than you would expect, check your device's power saving settings as these can terminate 1Password in the background and be sure that you're swiping away from 1Password instead of swiping it closed.

• kctater
    kctater
    Community Member

Thank you for your response. I think 1password would certainly work for me if my phone had a fingerprint reader for biometrics, but in the meantime I will try your suggestions.

Thank you again for your thorough explanation!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Timothy, you are welcome @kctater! Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions :)

This discussion has been closed.