Editing tags, cross-vault synching

JBell
JBell
Community Member

I'm considering moving our large family with hundreds of password records from Keeper to 1Password Family. I'm experimenting with a trial family plan and finding some advantages, but I want to be sure I'm correct in understanding that when records are copied to multiple vaults, updates do not synch across those copies. If true, that seems cumbersome. Is this expected to change? Also, it appears that tags cannot be edited at a macro level, but only within individual records. Is this correct? Renaming tags and adding (or removing) tags to multiple records at a time seem pretty basic -- especially since there did not seem to be an easy way to convert folder names to actual 1Password tags in the import process. Over time, renaming tags will undoubtedly come in handy. Is this anticipated? If I'm missing something, please let me know. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• JBell
    JBell
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

• Hi @JBell,

You are correct, when creating a copy of an item and moving this copy to a new Vault it becomes an entity separate from the original item and therefore any changes made to the original item (or the copied item) will not sync to each other - An item should exist in just one vault and you can choose which vault to store that item and then share that vault with all the family members you wish to share the item with. There is no need to have multiple copies of the item.

While I can’t make any promises, I've added this post to an internal issue to share your feedback with the rest of the team. Our developers will go over your feedback to see if it’s something they’ll be able to add to a future version of 1Password.

In regards to Tags, are you looking to add a specific Tag to multiple items at the same time?

• JBell
    JBell
    Community Member

@ag_josephine Thank you for confirming my understanding and for adding this for internal consideration. I would humbly submit that using phrases like "should exist in just one vault" and "there is no need to have multiple copies" strikes me as a developer-centric perspective. A more customer-centric perspective might recognize that, particularly in a family situation, there might be many cases in which having only a single copy of an item, in a shared vault where everyone with access to the vault has the ability not only to edit the item but also to delete it, would be problematic. This might not be a problem if permissions (for editing and deleting) could be controlled for each individual user at the vault (or even the item) level. If that is possible and I have missed it, please let me know.

With regard to tags, yes, I am looking to add a specific Tag to multiple items at the same time. I am also asking about the ability to re-name existing Tags that have already been applied to multiple items.

Thank you!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@JBell You can control the access permissions for individual vaults at 1password.com. Go to the following page, click on a vault and you should see a list of all the users who have access and their respective access permissions.
    https://my.1password.com/vaults

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JBell:

With regard to tags, yes, I am looking to add a specific Tag to multiple items at the same time.

In 1Password for Mac, you can do this by selecting these items, and then dragging to the tag on the sidebar of the app ;)

I am also asking about the ability to re-name existing Tags that have already been applied to multiple items.

You can do this already, also in the sidebar:

• JBell
    JBell
    Community Member

@ag_ana I assume, then, if I'm not using 1Password for Mac these are not possible?

• JBell
    JBell
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

@rootzero Ah, thank you. This is certainly helpful, although it does not alleviate the cumbersomeness of having individual copies of an item as separate "entities" instead of synched across vaults. I am also surprised that, when copying an item to a vault where a previous version of that item already exists, the user is not given the option of replacing the copy in the vault. Instead, it appears the users only option is to add the newer version of the item to the vault, then separately search out the earlier version and delete it from the vault. Again, I may be missing something, but this also seems cumbersome.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@JBell I don't think you're missing anything. I tend not to move items around and instead save them in vaults according to who needs to have access. I save all my personal items in my private vault and have shared vaults for kid 1, kid 2, partner, whole family, recovery group & temp/transfer. The last one is only used for moving items between private vaults when I have set-up an account for someone else. It is based on the default shared vault and so everyone has read/write access. For this reason, its normally empty.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JBell:

I will ask someone in the team if they can test this on Windows :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JBell:

You can do this on Windows too :) Here is a screenshot for you:

This discussion has been closed.