Regression: preferences is no longer its own window and ⌘W doesn't work the way it should

Options

This is a consequence of moving to Electron, but I do not see a reason that it should be a necessary condition. With 1Password 7 and previous versions, as native macOS apps, the preferences window was its own window, meaning that I could hit ⌘W to close the window. Now, hitting ⌘, to bring up preferences (yay, that works) makes it a nested modal on the main window. When I hit ⌘W, the entire 1Password window closes (this is made worse by the fact that ⌘0 resets the font size to “actual size” instead of either restoring the window or switching to the all vaults view; for that I now need ⌘1.

This would feel more Mac-like if:

• the preference window was its own window instead of a modal pane;
  • and ⌘W closes the app, not just closes the last window (“last window closes app” type of behaviour)

I can see arguments against the latter (it’s not the way that document-oriented macOS apps work, but it is often the way that non-document macOS apps work and matches what happened with 1Password 6 and 7).

If the former (preference window as its own thing) cannot be done, then it should be clearer that dismissing preferences should be done with instead of ⌘W.

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• HI @austin,

Thanks for testing 1Password 8 and for taking time to give us this detailed feedback.

I have let our developers know of this discrepancy between 1Password 8 and 1Password 7.

ref: dev/core/core#7794

This discussion has been closed.