Shared work passwords, and personal ?

How do I manage both shared work passwords and personal ones together?
Hi Folks,

I am trying to work out the best way to go about something.

User1 (me): Mac in office, iphone whilst mobile, pc at home.
User2: Mac in office, ipad and Mac at home, blackberry whilst mobile.

We are a web development team, and need to keep an array of shared, but secure details for clients, but be able to retrieve them on the spot for support etc. So many ftp's, cpanels, server details, admin details etc etc, sortable by client first, then website (some clients have more than one). In addition each user has there own stricly personal details. Bank accounts, forum ID's, some non shared work assets etc etc.

Firstly is it possible to keep some ID's and passes shared, and up-datable by either party ? For example user 2 updates an ftp pass during the day, that night I get a support call and need to access the same FTP. Can they be kept in sync at all times from any one of the 3 devices I may need to access it from ?

Secondly can each user still have their own personal details kept personal ? For example can I keep my blog account details within the system without sharing them with user 2 ?

Thirdly what would i need to do from a license perspective ? It seems that we woudl need a lot of licenses for just two people, are there bundles between the devices available ?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Comments

• Hi Folks,

I am just wondering, is there a dedicated pre-sales channel I should be using or is this the correct place ? Sorry to chase but I am just looking to get this one resolved so I can find the best solution and get back to coding :)

Cheers!

Miz
  • Still trying to track down some ideas here, I have the trial for mac, I read on the site that everything is available for a 30 day trial, I cant seem to find that option however for the iphone in the app store!

In addition I have also sent a mail to support, I would love to know if anyone can assist with the queries in the previous post - I just want to find a working solution so I can move on here - I hope that 1password is it.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Martin. I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner. We have been much busier than expected lately and some of the team is attending Macworld at the moment.

For the sake of other users looking for the same information, I will post here what Mike wrote to you via e-mail:

At this moment, we do not have the custom templates support. We are working on adding the ability to add your own custom templates and your own fields to the Wallet Vault in a future update to 1Password. I do not have a timeframe or additional information on this. Thank you for letting us know that this would be useful for you.

The concept of sharing and multiple keychains, or data files, within 1Password has come up a few times and it's certainly a very interesting and useful idea. We are considering this for the future but it is quite a substantial change to how 1Password works right now, which means a lot of time and testing is required to add this feature.

So with that said, I really can't make any promises on a timeframe for when we may be able to bring this to 1Password but that doesn't mean we won't. We've always believed in trying to be as honest and realistic with our users as possible rather than making lots of empty promises.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more positive answer but thank you so much for letting us know that you and your company would find this useful. We do take the number of users who request a feature into consideration when we decide on our feature lists.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thanks!

I would also add that importing and exporting 1Password Interchange Files is a great way to transfer information between different installations of 1Password. It is not automated, but for my purposes it works well since I am not constantly changing the passwords I share with others.

Unfortunately, we do not offer a 30-day trial for our iOS apps as this is not currently allowed in the App Store. We do offer a Mac + Windows bundle license, but the iOS apps are licensed separately. Although, 1Password Pro for iOS is a universal app designed for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. We do not currently support BlackBerry.

The forums are a great way to get this sort of information since others can benefit from it here as well. :-)
  • We are searching for a multi-user password protection program. At our office some users already use 1Password for personal use. We need to login login and passwords for several Web-Users. Is there a way to link 1Password accounts or is Agile solutions planing some kind of 1Password server app?

Be glad for any inputs on how other companies deal with this issue.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, ground15! I have merged your post with one of the many appropriate threads. :-) Please see above and let me know if you have any additional questions.
  • Polarpro
    Polarpro
    Community Member
    Hey there...

This is just to say that I, too, would appreciate a feature that allows to organize the passwords for different users from one central spot. We use lots of web applications in my division where we need to login, and every time when a password changes every single user has to change the password locally. One centrally administered password list would make things much easier. Even better would be a shared password list plus private password lists for each user.

:o)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Polarpro!

I do not have a time frame for a specific release, but shared 1Password data is something that we are excited to introduce in the future. It is absolutely something we would use in-house. :-)

Thanks for letting us know it would be useful to you as well!
  • jaredmoody
    jaredmoody
    Community Member
    +1 for the ability to share certain logins amongst a group of users
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, jaredmoody! Your vote has been counted. :-)
  • invalidptr
    invalidptr
    Community Member
    +1.

I had hoped there would have been enough of a need internally at Agile that this just would have happened. I will look into the 1Password Interchange File idea.
  • datico
    datico
    Community Member
    Another +1 for this feature, it is critical for me right now as I need a solution at work asap.

So I notice in OS X if you double-click the 1 Password app while holding down the option key, it presents a dialog box to choose a data file. If I were to create a second .agilekeychain file and store it on my dropbox, is there any harm in using this feature to switch back and forth regularly between the two different .agilekeychain files? I'm wondering in particular how this would work with the plugins in the browser, etc....would they instantly switch too, or do I need to restart my browser? Is there any risk of data corruption by doing this?

If not, this seems a potentially viable and easy solution to the problem. Additionally, it seems it might be a way for Agile to quickly add a semblance of the feature: I'm imagining an option in settings where I can turn on a "Multiple keychain support" feature, which then presents me with a dialog box to choose my keychain file every time I start 1 Password. Of course the plugin factor may prove to be a trick...so now I imagine an item in the OS X top menu bar for 1 Password which lets me choose which datastore I'm currently using, and which broadcasts the change to the plugin and to 1 Password.

As it is, I'll probably be looking for an alternative password keeper to use at work for my team... :-(
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for letting us know you are excited about this feature as well. I am optimistic about the future, but we do not pre-announce products or features.

So I notice in OS X if you double-click the 1 Password app while holding down the option key, it presents a dialog box to choose a data file. If I were to create a second .agilekeychain file and store it on my dropbox, is there any harm in using this feature to switch back and forth regularly between the two different .agilekeychain files? I'm wondering in particular how this would work with the plugins in the browser, etc....would they instantly switch too, or do I need to restart my browser? Is there any risk of data corruption by doing this?

The "hold down the Option key" trick was actually removed. You might want to update 1Password. :S It is not a good solution anyway, since, as you suggest, the background agent and browser extensions will still likely be using the older data file and this can lead to confusion (or worse). You would essentially need to log out of your OS X account in order to "properly" switch data files "on the fly" which ends up not being very quick. Alas, 1Password is simply not designed for this use case at the moment. It is strongly recommended that you do not switch data files with any regularity.

If not, this seems a potentially viable and easy solution to the problem. Additionally, it seems it might be a way for Agile to quickly add a semblance of the feature: I'm imagining an option in settings where I can turn on a "Multiple keychain support" feature, which then presents me with a dialog box to choose my keychain file every time I start 1 Password. Of course the plugin factor may prove to be a trick...so now I imagine an item in the OS X top menu bar for 1 Password which lets me choose which datastore I'm currently using, and which broadcasts the change to the plugin and to 1 Password.

Thanks for the suggestion. We are exploring a number of different ways to improve the sharing of data within and around 1Password. Again, I do not have anything to announce right now, but I assure you this is close to our hearts as well.

As it is, I'll probably be looking for an alternative password keeper to use at work for my team...

We'll just have to work harder and faster to make 1Password even more irresistible in order to keep you or bring you back to the Agile family. That is motivation if ever I've heard it! :-)
  • Jeitjet
    Jeitjet
    Community Member
    I'm also looking for something like this. Import / Export will work fine for now, but is not ideal.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Jeitjet!

You are absolutely correct that import/export is not ideal. I completely agree. Data sharing is something we are all excited about at some point in the future. Thanks for adding your voice to the support for this.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
  • Hi Folks,

I originally started this thread a long time ago, but it seems that the multi-user support was not quite ready - I still have the same needs (I have returned to this as a password change just caused us some big issues), what is the current state of play please ?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I wish I could give a clearer answer, but we don't announce products or features until they are shipping. The current status is "not shipping at this precise moment". That said, this is a feature we at AgileBits are very keen on.

When we have more news we will be posting it on our blog, on Twitter, and in the newsletter:

Blog: http://blog.agilebits.com
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/1Password
    Newsletter: http://agilebits.com/company/newsletter
    (In 1Password for Mac, choose Help > Subscribe to Newsletter.)

Please keep an eye on these resources for more information. :-)
  • +7 for everyone in my office.

1Password is a great convenience for us, but some of us have personal information we don't want shared with everyone in the team. Also, different keychains would be great for a permissions-based approach.

We do a lot of web development, so sharing server credentials is essential for our programmers, but they don't need access to the company bank account info. Any support on this would be a phenomenal improvement.

Big fan of what you do, and I hope this feature gets introduced soon.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2012
    Welcome to the forums, Austin! Thank you for the vote.

In the meantime, importing and exporting 1Password Interchange Files is a great way to transfer information between different installations of 1Password (File > Export). It is not automated, but for my purposes it works well since I am not constantly changing the passwords I share with others. This way each use can have private 1Password data and import only the items they need from the rest of the team.

(Please be aware that the 1PIF information is not encrypted and should be handled with care while in transit and securely deleted once the information is safely imported into an encrypted 1Password data file.)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.