Possible 8 bugs

Some issues I've noticed that I consider bugs, regressions, or bad UI:

• In watchtower, if I select 'show items' for one of the categories (ie: reused passwords), then delete an item from there, I'm not brought back to the list of reused passwords, but instead back to the all items list
  • On the web browser (Firefox, Mac, version 91) if I open it with cmd-. on a site with a password, then select 'edit', nothing happens. This is with the mac app running or not.
  • In the mac app, the option used to be 'move to trash' not 'delete', which was a lot less of a 'scary' thing, as you know it's going to trash and can be recovered.
  • In the Firefox plugin the notification bell icon (which is the prompt for turning on watchtower notifications) covers the settings cog wheel icon to get to settings. You can still get there, but it's almost perfectly hidden under the bell icon.

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: macOS 11.5

Comments

• Hi @arcterex, thanks for the reports :)

The first two and the last point that you mention are issues that we're tracking and will hopefully get fixed up soon. For reference, what's supposed to happen when you click 'edit' in 1Password in the browser, is that the item should be opened for edit in the desktop app.

With regards trash and delete, this was a change we made a few months ago (and should be the same in our 1Password 7 apps). 'Trash' has now become 'Archive', so if you archive an item, then that will perform the analogous action that you're expecting. And if you look in the archive (at the bottom of the sidebar on the left) you'll see all the items which you had previously trashed.

Don't worry if you've deleted items, those can still be recovered. They now go to a 'Recently deleted' section, which you can access from your account on 1Password.com. Check out this support page for more info: https://support.1password.com/item-history/#restore-a-recently-deleted-item

• arcterex
    arcterex
    Community Member

Thanks @andiAG . For me (and obviously this is me and not you guys and enough people) the difference for me between archive and trash are the same as in email. Archive is "file this somewhere so it's still around and I can find it but it's out of sight out of mind" and trash is "delete this cause I don't want it (but maybe don't really delete it just in case I change my mind but let me empty the trash at some point because I've decided I really do want to delete it)".

I guess the conflation I see is that the 'archive' section will now have both "I just don't want to see this anymore" and "these websites don't exist anymore" items - if I use 'archive' the same as the old 'trash'.

In my mind I'll just replace 'delete' with 'trash' from now on though :)

Thanks!

• @arcterex Ah, I can definitely understand your thinking here - thanks for sharing! I'd definitely suggest using the Archive for those two scenarios ("hide this" and "I don't need this anymore"). :smile: That said, if you've got any suggestions for ways to expand on the Archive or make it more flexible for these types of situations, let me know! I'll be happy to pass it along to the team.

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

For me (and obviously this is me and not you guys and enough people) the difference for me between archive and trash are the same as in email. Archive is "file this somewhere so it's still around and I can find it but it's out of sight out of mind" and trash is "delete this cause I don't want it (but maybe don't really delete it just in case I change my mind but let me empty the trash at some point because I've decided I really do want to delete it)".

This is the perfect example of the disconnect from a "native" app that many Mac users are bothered by: the archive and the trash are not the same thing...I hadn't noticed the change in v7 because I don't delete items very often--I like having the archive. I also want to see the trash.

• While I can totally see where you're coming from @rpallred, I'm not entirely sure how this particular feature factors into what makes an app native or not -- could you possibly elaborate more there?

I do understand though, changing how long-standing features have worked can be hard to get use to -- but as you mentioned, I too find myself rarely deleting items. Turning "Trash" into the "Delete" function we have now, and then giving the folks the option to restore deleted items via 1Password.com really does work pretty well.

That said, we do have plans to bring the Recently Deleted into the 1Password 8 itself for our Stable release, to allow folks to view and restore items that have been recently deleted without needing to visit 1Password.com

• rpallred
    rpallred
    Community Member

@Blake --I want to be clear that I am not displeased with the update in general, and I appreciate that you and others are engaging with users about our concerns. Thank you.

I'm not entirely sure how this particular feature factors into what makes an app native or not -- could you possibly elaborate more there?

It's not so much a question of the app itself being "native" as it is about it not feeling like a Mac app. Archive makes sense--I'm glad to have it--and on a Mac, I would expect that deleted items end up in the trash (either internal to the app, or the system trash).

It feels like you put a recycle bin in the sidebar instead of the trash--or moved the close button to the right-hand side of the window (looking at you, preferences window)--I could get used to it--I don't necessarily want to. I want a fluently Mac experience.

This discussion has been closed.