Adding OTP/2FA codes

Options

Hello!

I've been trying out the Windows early access vesion, and today needed to add an OTP/2FA token for the first time. I couldn't see a way to do this within the app, or add an OTP field to a specific section. Am I missing something obvious..? :)

Thanks!

--

1Password Version: 8.1.0-60.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.3
OS Version: Windows 10 21390.2025
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @teh_c !

I also wanted to add an TOTP and was wondering that this only works when adding the complete link the app presents. There is no way to scan a QR-code or another way. In 1PW7 it was able to scan a QR-code from the desktop. Hopefully this feature will find it's way back into v8.

• teh_c
    teh_c
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @DenalB, thanks for confirming you're seeing similar and it isn't just me... :)

Through some trial-and-error, I was able to add an OTP for Amazon Web Services (along with a QR code, AWS gives the "secret" value for the token, the problem being they don't provide an easy "copy" function for it and selecting-and-copying also includes the leading and trailing spaces which was throwing me off!)

I found that pasting the "secret" value into the OTP field began to generate valid codes as expected, but this definitely wasn't intuitive.. :(

Hopefully, as you say, this is something that 1PW will look to improve during Early Access.. :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Fingers crossed @teh_c . ;)

• Hey there @DenalB and @teh_c, thanks so much for writing in about this! Currently there is no QR scanner in the Early Access app. However, with the new, tight integration between the desktop app and 1Password in the browser, you can make use of 1Password in your browser's excellent QR scanner to add the TOTP to an entry.

To do so, navigate to the webpage displaying the QR code you wish to scan. Then, open 1Password in your browser, and navigate to the corresponding entry you have saved, and click the QR icon at the bottom of the window:

1Password will automatically scan the QR code, add it to the entry, and add the current code to your clipboard, ready to paste in to the website for verification. :smile:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the workaround @Dayton_ag ! :)

• Any time! :smile: :+1:

• x19
    x19
    Community Member
    Options

Came to the forum to find this. It's a great workflow, but I'd encourage you to explain that within the app somewhere I was at a loss trying to figure it out.

• rob
    Options

Yeah, it's certainly not very clear in the app right now. I think we'll improve that with time. Thanks for the feedback, @x19.

This discussion has been closed.