1Password mini not working

Options
Wester
Wester
Community Member
edited July 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I've been a loyal 1Password user since 2008, and I have always used standard, non-subscription licenses. After 1P7 was introduced, I upgraded the application on my Mac (as I like to run the latest software) but have never signed up for the subscription as I prefer to avoid recurring payments. Ever since I upgraded, the app (specifically the in-browser autofill and 1P mini in Safari and the menu bar) seems broken in ways that I suspect is due to the lack of a subscription but which feel like bugs.

Specifically, nothing ever happens when I click the 1P icon in Safari's toolbar. FWIW, it is also always blue which looks odd:

Similarly, the 1P icon in the menu bar is almost completely useless. Nothing happens when I click it while Safari is active but as soon as I switch to another app (such as Finder), it works fine. This means that I have to switch apps whenever I want to log into a website, which is obviously annoying.

Am I right in suspecting that all of this is due to me not having a 1Password subscription? If so, I think you should definitely remove the 1P icons from browsers and the menu bar, as this clearly feels like bugs rather than feature restrictions. If these are bugs, I would appreciate if anyone could help me fix them. I have included information about current version numbers for 1P and macOS but all of this has been present for many months (at least since Big Sur if not before).

Also: Are there really no non-subscription licenses available for 1P7?

1Password Version: 7.8.2
Extension Version: Safari extension (updates with the app)
OS Version: macOS 11.2.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Wester!

Am I right in suspecting that all of this is due to me not having a 1Password subscription? If so, I think you should definitely remove the 1P icons from browsers and the menu bar, as this clearly feels like bugs rather than feature restrictions.

Billing should have nothing to do with this, it sounds more like a connection issue between the 1Password for Mac desktop app and the Safari browser extension.

If these are bugs, I would appreciate if anyone could help me fix them. I have included information about current version numbers for 1P and macOS but all of this has been present for many months (at least since Big Sur if not before).

Thank you for sharing the version information! The first thing I notice is that you are quite a few updates behind in 1Password for Mac: can you try updating to version 7.8.6 and see if that helps?

Also: Are there really no non-subscription licenses available for 1P7?

Our latest versions of the 1Password apps focus exclusively on Memberships. Please see this post from our founder Dave with all the details :+1:

• Wester
    Wester
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @ag_ana. Glad to hear that these are indeed bugs! I have now updated 1P but the problems persist. To make things even weirder, look what happens when I use the 1P mini keyboard shortcut while Safari is inactive — it shows up on top of the active app where the Safari extension should be (this is the case even when other windows are overlaying Safari). When I use the shortcut in Safari, nothing happens.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wester:

Thank you for the update! When Safari is in the background, 1Password mini shows you suggestions for the app that is actually focused (the Finder in your case), so this is expected behavior. If Safari has the focus, 1Password will show you the list of your Logins.

But since things are not working for you even after the update, I would like you to try the following:

1. Quit 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely)
    2. Quit Safari with Cmd+Q
    3. Relaunch Safari
    4. Relaunch 1Password

If you click on the 1Password extension in Safari now, does it open?

• Wester
    Wester
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for getting back to you so late. I think I have managed to identify when the problem occurs.

When following your instructions, 1P mini works right away. However, as soon as I visit a page with a login form, it stops working from then on (even after I leave the page). For instance:

1. I quit 1P and Safari
    2. I reopen both
    3. 1P mini works fine
    4. I go to Twitter.com (1P still works)
    5. I click "Log in", and the form appears with the little 1P icon in the username field
    6. 1P mini no longer works, even when I leave Twitter and browse other sites
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wester:

1. 1P mini no longer works, even when I leave Twitter and browse other sites

For confirmation, when you click on 1Password mini in your menu bar and this happens, is Safari the app with focus? In other words, when you click on 1Password mini in your menu bar, is 1Password the app open next to the Apple logo on the top left of your screen?

• Wester
    Wester
    Community Member
    Options

Yep

• ag_chantelle
    edited July 2021
    Options

@Wester

I'd like us to get a better look at what's happening on your Mac. Can you create a diagnostics report and share it with us at support+x@1Password.com? Make sure you include a link to our current discussion. One of our team members will have a look and reply from there.

ref: SIU-36993-491

• Wester
    Wester
    Community Member
    Options
  • Thanks, we'll get back to as soon as possible.

• thaxter
    thaxter
    Community Member
    Options

I have been having the same issue with Mini not working. The problem started with the most recent update. I'm running on a Mac, OS X 11.5. Purchased 1PW through app store years ago. Currently at version 7.8.7 (70807004). Also, the 1PW button is not showing in Safari. I have tried the quit 1PW, quit Safari, restart. If I go to Safari, the button briefly appears, and then disappears. 1PW Mini will respond to a click, maybe once. Then nothing. I have to open 1PW to access my logins and can look stuff up, but Mini is no longer working.

• hersco
    hersco
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I was having all the same problems running 1Password 7.8.7 in macOS 11.5.2. 1Password was almost useless in Safari. The extension icon did not work at all. I had to switch to the Finder to get the menubar icon to function. Login pages showed an unlock 1Password button, even when the app was already unlocked. Clicking that button did nothing. I quit both Safari and 1Password and reopened them. That seems to have fixed the problems at this time.

• @thaxter

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/609330/#Comment_609330
    • Your forum username: thaxter

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• thaxter
    thaxter
    Community Member
    Options

Did that. Ticket #ZDL-62389-894

• Thanks @thaxter! :) I've sent a reply to your email, please reply in the email thread instead of here so that we can avoid duplicating efforts.

ref: #ZDL-62389-894

This discussion has been closed.