1Password 8 for Mac - my two cents

Options

I'm a 1Password user for years now - I think I started around 1Password 3. I also loved to pay for 1Password for every upgrade and also for the subscription, because I knew what I paid for - to get you paid for your great work you have done in the past years.

When I heard about 1Password 8 I was really exited, like on all other previous main version upgrades before.
After using version 8 for over a week now, my excitement turned into partially frustration...

1. 1Password mini.
  • where has the functionality gone? Where are cagtegories, tags and most of the UI gone?
  • but, much more important: where is the password generator? I used to use 1Password mini to quickly generate passwords, which I have to do multiple times a day.
  • I was not able to get 1Password mini starting automatically after a reboot. I need to manually open 1Password once before the menu extra is loaded.
  1. 1Password browser extension (Safari)
  • the password generator is hard to find, buried down in the "+" menu. Could you please consider putting it back right to the main window?
  • animations are laggy in the password generator
  • the browser extension doesn't respect locale changes. For example, when switching the OS language from German to English, 1Password in the browser will stay German. The main app will use the system locale.
  1. main app.
  • categories are missing in the sidebar
  • "convert to login" is not available for password objects
  • Preferences: most preferences are gone. I hope this is only because of the early beta state of the software.
  • the number of elements is not shown next to tags. No preference to bring them back.
  • pressing the "option" key doesn't reveal passwords (!!)
  • keyboard shortcuts. cmd+D doesn't duplicate records
  • "Import" option is gone?
  • preferences, again. cmd+W closes the whole app instead of the preferences window only
  • Question: is the browser extension no longer part of 1Password?
  • Icons for objects: I'm no longer able to change the icon for objects
  1. Watchtower
  • the good: nice summary of the overall password strength - I like it!
  • the bad: could you please make the items in the password strength report make clickable? Would be much more intuitive. For example, I have five passwords in my vault that are marked as "terrible" security, which I'm not able to find because there is no such query in the section below.

I don't want to spin up another discussion around Electron based apps. Really, I don't care if there is no lack of functionality. But at this stage of development, at lot things seem to be missing compared to 1Password 7. I just scratched the surface of 1Password 8 and found the list above.
Also, overall, the Mac app doesn't feel like a native app. The best example for this feeling is the preferences window that I'm not able to close with cmd+W.

Comments

• tiltowaitt
    tiltowaitt
    Community Member
    Options

Question: is the browser extension no longer part of 1Password?

I really do hope there's a plan to package the extension as part of the app, the same way other password managers do. It's a bit silly having two 1Password entries at the top of my applications list (actually, 3 right now, as I won't be removing 7).

This discussion has been closed.