How can I identify all the passwords I changed today?

Options

I used password generator on about 30 sites today that had reused passwords but failed to keep track of what sites those were. I still need to update the passwords on those actual websites. How can I identify them now?

1Password Version: 7.7.810
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Referrer: forum-search:identify passwords I changed today

Comments

• Hi @june_taft, nice to meet you! 😃 There is a way to do this.

If you're in 1Password in your browser (that is, the little 1Password in your browser's toolbar), you can click the + icon, then Password Generator > Generator History. If you give it a try, does that show you the information you're looking for?

By the way, it's possible to use that same app (which you can find here) to save new passwords into both 1Password and the website itself. That can really come in handy! Here's our quick guide on that: https://support.1password.com/generate-website-password/

If you have any questions, feel free to let us know here! We're here to make sure that 1Password works to do what you need. 🙂

• pratnala
    pratnala
    Community Member
    Options

TIL about this feature! Is there a way to do this on the Windows app too?

• june_taft
    june_taft
    Community Member
    Options

I had actually opened 1Password app on my laptop to make the changes. When I click the link you provided above, apparently I had never installed 1Password in my browser. I did that and followed your directions to look at generator history, but unfortunately it doesn't show anything (and I'm not surprised based on how I made the changes in the Windows app.) :-(

Is there any other way to get that history from the app itself? I don't see any generator history there. (I did use the password generator to create and save new passwords in the app.)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pratnala, @june_taft:

Every password you generate and save in the Windows app will end up as a separate password item in the Passwords category. Can you take a look there and see if you have some new passwords in the list there?

• june_taft
    june_taft
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have a "Passwords" category showing in the Windows app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@june_taft:

Can you please post a screenshot of your categories list? Passwords is a built-in category so it should always show (unless it is empty).

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@june_taft It seems to me you updated the actual login entries with new passwords without actually updating it online on the corresponding websites. I would identify all the updated entries in 1Password by sorting the list of all items by modification date. The recently changed items will be on top.

However, I don't understand why you would first change all entries in 1Password, and after that go to change all the website accounts, because you need the old passwords to login - which are no longer available if you already changed all of them.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tertius3:

Re-reading the conversation again, I think you might be right. If the changes were made directly and exclusively in the 1Password app, the history would not show up anywhere we have tried looking so far.

If this is the case, looking at the item history might help:

View and restore previous versions of items

Or perhaps even clicking on the Previously Used Passwords button inside the specific Login entry.

• june_taft
    june_taft
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

There is a screenshot of my categories. Not sure why I don't have a passwords category, but I don't.

@Tertius3

Yes - that is exactly what I did and actually knew immediately after I did it I should not have - hence my request for help in identifying those entries. I knew what the old password was in every case because I was correcting a particular password that was re-used. I used the generate new password for each site within 1Password. I know I can also look at the previously used passwords if I needed to. Thanks for the sorting suggestion - this will provide what I needed for sure. Not sure how I missed that.

And - you can be sure I will NOT do this again! ;-)
    Appreciate everyone's help.
    June

• Hi @june_taft, it's great to hear that @Tertius3's suggestion has been helpful here (and thank you, Tertius, for that!).

Let us know if you'd like any advice or assistance on creating a new round of passwords. We'll be happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.