Dropdown issue (card type)

Options

Steps to reproduce
1. I'm adding a new Credit Card and a get to the "type" field.
2. I click on the field and select "Visa" from the dropdown
3. Then I realise my card is actually a Mastercard, so I click again in the field to change it.

What do I expect to see?
The full list of card types, so I can just select "Mastercard" instead.

What do I actually see?

It seems the dropdown list has now been filtered by the previous value, so is only displaying options that include the word "Visa". I now have to manually delete the previous entry, just so can I select "Mastercard" instead.

This isn't how dropdowns work on the Mac, and is frustrating and confusing.

I must say, the more I use this new app, the more I hit frustrating issues that should never be occurring in the first place. e.g. I just tried to find the exact version number to add to this post, so I clicked the "1Password" menu in the menu bar, and clicked "About 1Password". Nothing happened. Tried again, nothing happened. Tried opening Preferences, nothing happened. (These items are not greyed out). Eventually discovered I had to close the "New item" panel that was open in the 1Password window, before these menu items would work. Please either make the menu items work at any time, or disable them when they are not available.

1Password Version: 8.0.0-56.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.4

Comments

• Hi @jcwacky,

Thanks so much for testing 1Password 8 and providing detailed feedback we really appreciate it!

This field is actually working as intended, instead of being a dropdown field that restricts users to only a small set of pre-determined items, the field is very similar to the username field where it is a text field and you can type in anything you want in that field, but to save you time there is a list of suggestions that appear (like the previously used usernames) so the text field can be autofilled for you. This is a change on how it worked in 1Password 7 where it was a restrictive dropdown that you couldn't add your own types to. Saying all of that I can see how it can be confusing especially in comparison to 1Password 7, maybe there is more we can do visually to help make it clear this is a regular text field with suggestions.

On the second issue, that definitely is not ideal. I have let the team know about that issue, so they can look into improving it in a future version of 1Password.

ref: dev/core/core#9579

• jcwacky
    jcwacky
    Community Member
    Options

@Joshua_ag Thanks for the explanation. In that case, I'd suggest adding an obvious way to clear the field with a single click, to allow users to then choose from all the dropdown choices. Perhaps an 'x' icon in a circle appears in the field when selected?

• Joshua_ag
    edited August 2021
    Options

@jcwacky, I am happy I was able to help.

That may work, but I'm not a designer. I'll let the team know of your idea so they can discuss it.

ref: dev/core/core#9718

This discussion has been closed.