Duplicate Apt repositories on every release

mhalano
mhalano
Community Member

I'm having troubles related to duplicate Apt repositories. The 1password package manages the repository, but the beta releases enable just the beta repository and the stable releases just enable the stable repositories. The problem is the beta repository doesn't release the stable versions too. My goal is to keep up with the latest 1Password release, usually beta, but stable when released (because it will be newer than the beta), and when a new beta is being released, install the beta.
I think a solution would be to change how the installed package manages the repository. In this case, would be nice to keep beta and stable repositories enabled and the OS upgrades to the latest available version.

1Password Version: 8.1.2~42.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 21.10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @mhalano, that's a great point! I'd love to see something like this - I've filed this internally to see if this is something we can work out. :smile:

Let me know if you have any questions, or if I can help out with anything else!

ref: /dev/core/core/#9140

• Hi @mhalano,

We are tracking ways to improve this. In the meantime, I'd like to provide some background on how we release beta and stable versions. Stable releases are usually based on the previous week's beta.

When we prepare a beta release, we'll branch our code from main. A beta release candidate is built and we test it. If we identify issues, we'll fix them in main and then cherry-pick the fix into the release branch.

This process repeats for a stable release. The stable release is based on the previous weeks beta. As we identify high priority issues, we fix in main and cherry-pick into the release branch.

On weeks where we release a stable version, we prioritize the stable release. Usually we're able to release the next beta the following day. As an example, last week we released 8.2.0-56.BETA. Yesterday we released 8.2.0 to the stable channel (which was based on 8.2.0-56.BETA) and today we released 8.2.2-6.BETA (based on main).

James - Senior Build Engineer

• mhalano
    mhalano
    Community Member

For now I created an empty file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/1password.list and setted as immutable.

• @mhalano Sounds good! :smile: We'll be sure to notify the thread when we've made some progress on this. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.